Butternut, Pecan, White oak inf

I'm buying some veneer online. I'm choosing between butternut, pecan and white oak. Since I cannot see them with my own eyes, I'm looking for a site that has some good pics and other info.

The owner has sent me pics, but I can't see the "coarsness" of the grain very well. If anyone has experience with any of these woods could you attempt to describe the grain and texture. Will they all look good with an oil finish?

Thanks

Mitch

Reply to
barker7

They are all pretty coarse. Butternut looks wonderful with oil. Pecan and oak won't change much with just oil.

Is there something in particular you are looking for?

Reply to
Toller

I remember reading somewhere that butternut and pecan were so similar that they were often sold either mixed or as each other.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

They have a AAA Bird's Eye Walnut Sheet that looks pretty cool. Fairly good photos.

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G

You're right - my neurons hiccuped :-).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

This is a decent pic of finished butternut as far as color goes

is not at all representative of grain/texture. Especially texture - much too coarse. However, it *would* be representative of white oak. Butternut grain/texture is very much like that of walnut.

Decent pecan/hickory photo

dadiOH's dandies v3.06... ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at

dadiOH

Perhaps you are thinking of pecan and hickory...butternut is very different from pecan

-- dadiOH ____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06... ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at

dadiOH

I'm looking for 4/4 Pecan. Having lots of trouble finding some. Any help locating it in Illinois?

Reply to
Rodger

Did you look between the 3/4 Pecan, and the 5/4 Pecan?

*grin*

"Illinois" is a big area. :)

In metro Chicago, I'd try OWL Hardwoods, in Des Plaines.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi