butcher block oil or mineral oil

I've never made a food idem before, so I've never really looked into this, I have always been told that you use mineral oil on cutting boards, I was recently told that butcher block/spoon oil lasts longer, and someone today told me that there the same thing, if there not is there is diff in preformace? anyone know the answer?
Hi Richard, I am still using mineral oil. It is so easy to reapply. I have used a butcher block product (actually a wax) which looked good but took a while to apply and spread evenly. As to longevity, I did not notice a difference. JG
Richard Clements wrote:

Could be. But you don't use either if you want best results. Mineral oil doesn't cure, so it sequesters oil-soluble inorganic soil and oil-loving organic creatures (like bacteria) from the depredations of detergents. Until, of course, the detergent finally emulsifies all the oil, at which point the piece "looks dull" and needs to be reoiled....
Go bare or go cure.

You've got a bad choice to make. It's not good policy at all to use the same board or area for meat prep and then for food which will not be cooked. Cross-contamination is a certainty.
I would have boards for trimming and cutting meat made up to place on areas of the counter where I can wipe with bleach or detergent and feel certain they were not hiding just out of reach. Use the open area to prepare foods which will not be cooked. I would go a drying (curing) oil to help shed moisture, though it will darken the counter a bit. Check walnut oil as a possibility, or one of the oil/wax mixes. Keep some bleach, cut 10:1 in a spray bottle nearby for wiping.
I would also make sure I could replace the entire area relatively easily in case someone left a glass too cold or a pot too hot on it to discolor it.