Black Friday -- a different take

My 24v Firestorm seems to get heavier with each job, so I've spent some time at the Borg looking at the li-ion drills. Makita has a a drill and driver set for about $250, which was marked down to $199 for Black Friday. Limited quantities of course. Sears also had a C3 at $69. A bit heavier and I would rather have had the set.
However, Sears opened first at 4 a.m. and there I was with the rest of the idiots waiting in line. By 4:45 I was out the door with the drill heading for the nearby Borg, which I thought was going to open at 5 a.m. Nope, 6 a.m. Ah, but Mick D was open across the street and I elected to have a bit of breakfast (important fact for later on).
At 5:45 a.m. I am standing in line freezing my butt off when all of a sudden the sausage and egg muffin starts talking to me. I don't want to lose my place in line and figure I can hold out for 15 mins. Ten minutes later I am cursing McDonalds as my plumbing is churning waiting for me to pop the clutch.
Doors open and I made a beeline for the drills. They've got about 15 sets out. Now, I know I can't take the box into the head, but I also know there is no way I am going to make it through the cashier, back to the car and then to the head.
So I race to the head, find relief, race back to the drills and find three left.
Happy with both. The driver handled 3 in deck screws nicely. A little concerned about battery life, but time will tell.

If you just bought a Makita impact driver, you will find in short order that it is the handiest tool in your box. Now you need to stock up on Torx (star drive) bits and screws and you will have both feet in the 21st century. Glad you made it to the facilities in time. That's real dedication <G>.
Joe
I recently picked up a Milwaukee 18V Li-ion for work. (paid regular full price) I like it a lot. Its as tough as past Milwaukee drills, and seems to have plenty of torque. I'm not so sure about battery life though, and it goes from screaming torque to stop very quickly. No big deal. I thought I would just buy a couple more batteries, until I saw the price. Erk! 119 each. 2 of them cost almost as much as the drill, charger and two batteries. I have not yet taken the time to shop on-line and see what others are selling the batteries for.

I feel the same way about my Bosch. It even makes Phillips drive screws tolerable. Slotted still suck.

Tuesday I drove up to Atlanta with my brother to pick up my Niece form the Airport. I decided to buy myself an early present too. I got to Woodcraft at 6:45 (Rockler was already closed) and bought a JessEm miter gauge. Hanven't played with it yet though.

I would have taken one, and on the way to the head, hidden it among something boring like ceramic tiles, until I was finished and then retreived it to go through the cash. That way you ensure that you don't miss out on the deal.
On Sun, 29 Nov 2009 11:44:35 -0600, the infamous

McDognut's food is instant karma, dude.

If it's not a 3AH battery pack, you'll be sorry soon enough. I just read a nice review in the November 2009 Deck Builder mag. I have a Bosch and couldn't believe that they didn't test any.
-- Some days, it's not even worth chewing through the restraints.
snipped-for-privacy@teranews.com wrote:

Why can't you take the box to the toilet? Surely they'll let you take two tools at a time...

They say not to do it but I have never seen toilet guards.

I scored one of these. My Lowes still had half a dozen left on Saturday afternoon. I got to use the driver today. It drove 3 1/2 deck screws without breaking a sweat. -- Doug