Bentley and woodworking

Page 1 of 2
I get circulars and email advertisements from Bentley, and thought that this was of interest to woodworkers. Some of the stuff they're asking huge dollars for could be knocked out by a good woodworker in a day or less, IMHO.
http://www.bentleycollection.com/prodtype.asp?sg6lyw1007956&strParents=&CAT_ID &numRecordPosition=1
--
Nonny

What does it mean when drool runs
Nonny wrote:

http://www.bentleycollection.com/prodtype.asp?sg6lyw1007956&strParents=&CAT_ID &numRecordPosition=1 Interesting.
I was just reading an article in the crapper this morning that endeavors to quantify the taste in housing, furniture and fixtures, of those 80 million born between 1980 and 1995, who, by next year (2010), will have more economic clout than any group in history.
Basic premise being understanding the wants/needs of those who grew up being awarded ribbons for last place, and only taking "yes" for an answer, in order to effectively build and market to the selfish little bastards.
The conclusion: Ikea, West Elm, and Design Within Reach.
Either the fumes were getting to me, or that blows my hopeful new business model completely the hell out of the water ... :(
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Did you have you feet propped up on that new little table? ;~)

BUT there are still those with money that know the difference.
Leon wrote:

ROTFL! ... you mean those faux granite POS's that Blondie keeps coming up with outta nowhere? Naah ... when engaged in serious business I use only natural materials!

Yabbut ... taste, lad, taste ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

You're not competing with IKEA. IKEA is creating your customers for you. When the IKEA kidlets grow up they'll leave IKEA behind and go searching for better quality. Quality never goes out of style...only thing, sometimes it takes longer than the creator's (small C) lifetime for the quality to be recognized. Hope you're not in a rush! ;)

http://www.bentleycollection.com/prodtype.asp?sg6lyw1007956&strParents=&CAT_ID &numRecordPosition=1
That is why we build this kind of stuff. But now I am thinking that I should have charged more than $800 for the Jewelery box I sold 2 years ago.

Maybe I should just add a 0 to all my prices?
My latest:
http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id6216269
I'm jealous of the interiors of their boxes though, I need to get better at that. And finishing. Then I'll add the 0 :)
-Kevin

Very nice Kevin! What did you use for the interior?
I ended up using stiff/starched felt and cutting with a quilters rotary cutter. I did this for the drawer bottoms and sides on 2 chests with 13 drawers each. No fun. http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/4080828302 /

Thanks!
I haven't done the interior on that one yet, but what I do is just the bottoms, and I wrap the fabric around a piece of 1/8" acid free foamboard cut a little smaller than the drawer. It's easier to cut the foamboard to fit than the fabric, and then you just press it in and get nice crisp edges. I've started making ring bars too now and that is a royal pain.
-Kevin
Kevin wrote:

Very interesting design.

Don't know about adding a zero, but certainly that's definitely worth way more than $50.

Rob Leatham
On Mon, 07 Dec 2009 21:09:14 -0700, Mark & Juanita

Thanks!
I think you were looking at the shipping :)
-Kevin
Kevin wrote:

DOH!

Rob Leatham
Nonny wrote:

http://www.bentleycollection.com/prodtype.asp?sg6lyw1007956&strParents=&CAT_ID &numRecordPosition=1 Spendy stuff, that. 421.28 seems a tad excessive for a match box, tho. After following the links Tom provided Jay else thread to photos of the elevator doors in the Chrysler Building, I went wandering off to look at other art deco stuff.
These aren't wood, but neither are they 421.28 (I just hafta wonder about that 28p - d'ya spose that's their profit margin?)...
http://www.norcorp.com/design-aluminum-surfaces-blog/bid/18472/Art-Deco-Aluminum-Match-Box-Covers
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

http://www.bentleycollection.com/prodtype.asp?sg6lyw1007956&strParents=&CAT_ID &numRecordPosition=1 My name is Bentley, John Bentley. Give me 20 weeks to deliver and I'll figure out how to make it!
John

http://www.bentleycollection.com/prodtype.asp?sg6lyw1007956&strParents=&CAT_ID &numRecordPosition=1 My name is Bentley, John Bentley. Give me 20 weeks to deliver and I'll figure out how to make it!
John

I'll have a nice car please for no more than 50 quid!

I never thought much about Bentley and woodworking. Does it have a fold down rear seat so you can carry 2 x 4's through the trunk? How about a factory option roof rack for sheets of plywood?

trailer to haul things home. What kind of person would put lumber in their Arnage? <grin>
--

Nonny wrote:

http://www.bentleycollection.com/prodtype.asp?sg6lyw1007956&strParents=&CAT_ID &numRecordPosition=1 I recently attended the "Texas All British Car Day" in Round Rock TX (http://txabcd.org /) and they had a few brand new Bentleys on the premises. One of them was a convertible with the top down, and I was able to inspect the interior up close and personal. Complementing the gorgeous cream colored leather was some of the most beautiful Bird's Eye Maple woodwork that you could imagine, on the dash, and all around the perimeter of the interior. My initial thought was how great it would be to have the woodworking gig in the Bentley factory, but then it occurred to me it was probably done not by hand, but more likely with the finest CNC machinery available. Regardless, it was some very impressive work.
--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.
Steve Turner wrote:

Pictures posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.