Bandwidth Stealing on a WW website

Page 3 of 3
brought forth from the murky depths:

If you are putting up a page of URLs on your site, you should at least have asked the owners if it was OK. In most cases it is happily agreed on because it brings more traffic to them.
If they're on a free site and you send too much traffic, it may start to cost them some money, hence the permission aspect. It is also frowned upon to put their site in your frames, hiding their URL, but you state that you are not doing so.
Instead of linking and opening a new browser window, try a straight link which takes your viewers off your site to the actual URL. But if they want you to remove the link, it's probably in your own best interest to do so.
URLs are public, captured URLs (where you have frames and do not show their URL at all) are not and could be considered theft.

I asked a site owner to stop linking directly to one of my graphics on my site so it showed on their page as their own. They decided that using my work on their site was OK. I let them know immediately after I looked at my stats page at the end of the month. When they didn't respond to my request for payment for the graphic (quick and easy out, eh?) immediately, I notified their ISP of the theft and made sure they stopped their client from continuing to do show my work as their own.
-- Vidi, Vici, Veni --- http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development
On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 04:30:48 -0600, Jake Jarvis wrote:

AFAIK there is not much case law about linking but there are some generally accepted acceptable practices.
You can link to any homepage but linking to a URL below that (deep linking) depends on what you are linking to and the nature of the site you are linking to.
As a rule of thumb, put yourself in the position of the owner of the site you are deep linking to. Would you be happy if somebody linked directly to something on your site? If the answer is `yes' then go ahead and do it, if `no' then don't do it. If you're not sure then email webmaster@interesting_site.com and ask.
If they've asked you to cease & desist then ask them how they would like you to link to their site but in the knowledge that there probably isn't anything illegal with deep linking (AFAIK IANAL)
But in the interests of the 'net generally you should play nicely with them, for one thing you don't want them bugging your hosting company and one day you may be in the position where somebody might deep link to your site.
I think there is an RFC and/or some info at W3C about linking practices:
http://www.w3.org /
--

Frank

http://www.freebsd.org /