Anyone use the Grizzly Sliding Table?

I would like to hear what people who own the Grizzly Sliding Table (G4227) think of this table. It is one of the options I'm thinking of when I purchase a new cabinet saw. While I haven't come to a clear conclusion on saws yet, if I go with the Grizzly 1023z, this is one of the extras I'm thinking of adding. I'm also thinking of skipping the Grizzly option and regardless of saw going with the Excalibur EXSLT40, which sounds like it can be used on both left and right tilt saws (if anybody has put this on a left tilt saw let me know -- while I haven't ruled out left tilt saws, I'm leaning towards a right tilt at the moment).

Thanks in advance, Wayne

Reply to
Wayne Brissette

If you get the sliding table, you have to get a right-tilt.

Mike

Reply to
Mike in Mystic

I've been using an Excalibur EXSLT20 (a smaller version of the EXSLT40, sold at Woodcraft) on my Jet left tilt cabinet saw for years. This table is a little brother of the one you're considering, but it's made the same way.

An issue you need to be aware of with most tables is that you will have to cut your rip fence rails flush with the left hand side of the saw. This is the biggest drawback to these tables, IMHO, but it has nothing to do with left tilt vs right tilt. It means that you'll permanently lose most of what little ability you had to rip with the fence positioned left of the blade. Another issue for the table you're considering is that your ability to walk up close on the left side of the saw will be restricted, because of the table supports. This is actually why I chose the EXSLT20 - when the table is dismounted, the rails aren't in the way very much on the left side of the saw.

There were only 2 left-tilt related issues for me: 1) The motor housing was too close to the legs of the table to allow the motor cover to be completely lifted off it's hinges, and the cover can open almost but not quite completely. This hasn't been a big deal, because access is still good enough for pulling out sawdust. Since the EXSLT40 is bigger, the legs are going to be further away from the left side of the saw, so I don't think this will be an issue for you.

2) The end of the crosscut fence on the sliding table has to be adjusted to be a couple of inches away from the blade, if you want to allow for the blade to tilt while the sliding table is in use. Again, this is not a big deal. You could also choose to slice the very end of the crosscut fence at 45 degrees, or you could leave the end of the fence close to the blade and just dismount the table when bevelling.

Tim Carver snipped-for-privacy@twocarvers.com

Reply to
Tim Carver