Bandwidth Stealing on a WW website

You miss the point. The point is that this is a person who has a documented history of not being an outspoken supporter of xxxxxx issue. Then something happens that mekes this person change. That is all.

Reply to
<gabriel>

Of course. They have taller soapboxes.

Charlie Self "Take care of the luxuries and the necessities will take care of themselves." Dorothy Parker

Charlie Self

Bandwidth theft is when you offer access to a file stored on a web or FTP site that is linked from one of your web pages where the target is downloaded directly from the other location but the person downloading has no idea of this. For example, on my web site I offer a free download of a piece of shareware software. Another individual in the past put up a web site also offering the same download from his site. However, when people downloaded from his site, his code directed them to my directory, without their knowledge, and he used my monthly download allowance to provide this software without giving any hint as to where the file was actually stored, and without giving the visitor a chance to view my pages.

Now, if he had simply linked to my software page, he would have been guilty only of furthering the goals of the internet - a free exchange of information. That's what we all want. Instead, he offered the software under the guise of being the originator of the download but saved himself the cost of paying for the bandwidth by making me do it for him. That is wrong.

I wouldn't worry about it. It sounds as if you are providing a directional service for which this other person should be thankful - you are increasing their traffic. If you were linking to an inside frame without the benefit of their navigation bars they might suggest you use an alternate URL but accusing you of bandwidth theft is improper as, from what you have written, you have not done anything of the sort.

Reply to
Howard Ruttan

why provide links to the mainpage instead of the plans themselves? If the page was created properly their adds would still launch even with a direct link to the plans.

Reply to
bgross

The important ones do.

Reply to
CW

No possible way, Jose ... stick to something you know about.

Reply to
Swingman

Actually, while not directly 'reading' cookies, most browsers DO offer up referring URL, operating system, and browser type info.

FWIW,

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G.

"http_referer" is not through "reading the peoples cookies" ... you know that as well as I do.

Besides, NEVER trust any browser passed variables .. they're too easy to spoof. :)

Reply to
Swingman

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 04:30:48 -0600, Jake Jarvis brought forth from the murky depths:

If you are putting up a page of URLs on your site, you should at least have asked the owners if it was OK. In most cases it is happily agreed on because it brings more traffic to them.

If they're on a free site and you send too much traffic, it may start to cost them some money, hence the permission aspect. It is also frowned upon to put their site in your frames, hiding their URL, but you state that you are not doing so.

Instead of linking and opening a new browser window, try a straight link which takes your viewers off your site to the actual URL. But if they want you to remove the link, it's probably in your own best interest to do so.

URLs are public, captured URLs (where you have frames and do not show their URL at all) are not and could be considered theft.

I asked a site owner to stop linking directly to one of my graphics on my site so it showed on their page as their own. They decided that using my work on their site was OK. I let them know immediately after I looked at my stats page at the end of the month. When they didn't respond to my request for payment for the graphic (quick and easy out, eh?) immediately, I notified their ISP of the theft and made sure they stopped their client from continuing to do show my work as their own.

-- Vidi, Vici, Veni ---

Comprehensive Website Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Hey, I agreed with you concerning the 'reading cookies' bit, I was just pointing out that for statistic analysis, many sites use http_referrer - even though not secure.

I certainly wouldn't trust them for anything important, but how important could knowing OS, browser and referring URL be? ;-) Most web surfers don't bother spoofing, and they can reveal minutely interesting trends (at best).

Shoot, is there anything you don't dabble in?

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G.

"Dabble"!!?? ... I don't "dabble", I _conquer_ ideas and concepts at every opportunity and bend them to my will! ;>)

Besides, I haven't told you about the buffalo hunting, brumby wrangling, bare-knuckle fist fighting days, and other careers ... yet.

"Dabble" .. hummpph!

Reply to
Swingman

I agree. It means no credibility, but equally no lack of credibility. Then I read the article and find it to be a pretty good first introduction to why the Patriot Act is such an oppressive and shameful act.

This is always a risk, granted. But Rickie Lee Jones is hardly Britney.

The law has always been the property of those most able to pay for it, and this has been especially true in America.

Since some time in the 19th century, American government and law has existed to support the aims of the biggest businesses. Sometimes it has a little swing the other way (the anti-trust actions against the oil companies) but it's generally the case that any business big enough becomes either above the law, or is capable of bending the law at its whim.

If you or I wear black assault vests, threaten someone with violent "arrest" and remove their property, then it's called assault and robbery. However the RIAA seem to be able to do this without any redress or even the involvement of a court.

I saw a film tonight. There's now a trailer warning at the start, threatening 10 year jail sentences for anyone taking photographs of it. What's a typical sentence for violent assault in your locale ?

Try building a website that offers MP3s for download (several of my friends have bands). Then take a look at your website and firewall logs to see the interest the music publishing companies take. If your title happens to overlap one of their artist's title, then look out for the cease & desist letter about one of your own songs ! (and titles aren't even copyrightable, let alone that fact that it's a totally different song)

-- Do whales have krillfiles ?

Reply to
Andy Dingley

LMAO! Perhaps you should work for the Gubment on Nuclear (Nukular for you Bushites...) Fusion projects. They could use a little help with idea and concept bending...

Brumbies? Do you mean wild Australian horses? Buffalo? Now you're dating yourself...

I figured that would get a rise outta ya...

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G.

Some places will have some kind of "if you link, please link to the top page" type of thing to avoid people linking to machine-generated pages. I haven't ever actually noticed anyone asking people not to link to their sites.

Or perhaps what the OP is referring to in a rather vague way is a situation where he has linked to some page three pages into a site, and has thus lead followers of his link to detour around the opening graphics and banner ads. "Stealing" money by encouraging people to circumvent these revenue generators.

Well, in that case, I would change links on my site to point to the money-earning page on request from the site owner, on a case by case basis. I would do this as a matter of courtesy, in recognition of the fact that quality webspace is expensive, and someone has to pay for it, but not out of fear of legal reprisal.

I don't see where there's a @$%#$!%#$!% thing anybody can do to stop me from throwing up links wherever I want. A equals HREF quote http://blah de frickin blah. If that isn't free speech, I don't know what is. This is still America, for a few more years anyway.

Reply to
Silvan

Some browsers have built-in facilities for spoofing them. It is in this fashion that I must visit Home Despot's web site, for example. It won't talk to me unless it thinks I'm running either Nutscrape or Internet Exploder, so I have Konqueror masquerade as Internet Exploder in order to trick it into permitting me access. (The site works perfectly well after this ruse.)

One more reason I like Lowe's better than Home Despot. Lowe's requires no such trickery.

(Fortunately, Konqueror is pretty clever in this regard. It has a list of what it needs to pretend to be at which sites, so this is all transparent once initially configured on a per site basis.)

Reply to
Silvan

AFAIK there is not much case law about linking but there are some generally accepted acceptable practices.

You can link to any homepage but linking to a URL below that (deep linking) depends on what you are linking to and the nature of the site you are linking to.

As a rule of thumb, put yourself in the position of the owner of the site you are deep linking to. Would you be happy if somebody linked directly to something on your site? If the answer is `yes' then go ahead and do it, if `no' then don't do it. If you're not sure then email webmaster@interesting_site.com and ask.

If they've asked you to cease & desist then ask them how they would like you to link to their site but in the knowledge that there probably isn't anything illegal with deep linking (AFAIK IANAL)

But in the interests of the 'net generally you should play nicely with them, for one thing you don't want them bugging your hosting company and one day you may be in the position where somebody might deep link to your site.

I think there is an RFC and/or some info at W3C about linking practices:

Frank Shute

Thought I was kidding didn't you? You betcha ... but they were rideable, for the most part, and were used, along with a small fleet of Land Rovers, to hunt wild water buffalo in Arnhem Land and Cape York peninsula area in the early 60's. The guy I worked for exported the meat to the US for pet food ... don't get me started. ;>)

BTW, I am still looking a for a BIG planer.

Reply to
Swingman

That's helpful. Why the grandstand>Actually, while not directly 'reading' cookies, most browsers DO offer

Well I thought it could be done somehow. Where is there a law written that you cannot do this. Or did Jake sign some agreement. They are just trying to scare him with the theft word. It's the people that use the link that are using the bandwidth. Jake's link is on his bandwidth.

If this website is so concerned can't they rig the page so if you don't have a cookie picked up from their intro page, you can't view a plans page? It seems we all only dabble in it. Any consensus, without the escalation.

I want to know who it is? If they really said this to Jake he is not compelled to keep it secret.

Jules

The linker may be doing a service by linking directly to the page of interest. There are sites that are so badly organized that sending someone to the sites' main page will leave the surfer baffled as to how to find the page of interest.

Reply to
Everett M. Greene