How does a toilet ballcock work?

For any newbies in here who want to learn how toilet ballcocks work, this web page from FluidMaster tech support explains in step-by-step detail how the rubber diaphragm in a FluidMaster 400A toilet fill valve allows water flow into the tank, and shuts off the flow when the tank is full.

Unlike the mechanical systems typically used on faucets, the closure system used on the FluidMaster A400 toilet fill valve uses the water supply pressure to allow flow into, and stop flow into, the toilet tank. This is a very simple and reliable way to allow and stop water flow which is likely to become more common in the future because of it's simplicity and reliability.

It's good to understand how this water shut-off system works because you find the same kind of closure in lots of other places. Clothes and dish washers use much the same closure system to fill the appliance with water prior to each washing cycle. Similarily, some toilet diverter spouts use this same closure system to prevent water flow out the tub spout when the shower is supposed to be on. And, of course, all toilet fill valves use a variation of this same system to fill the toilet tank after each flush.

It's just plain good stuff to know.

Reply to
nestork

This link doesn't work.

I tried to find it but it said the kb is being updated, try again in a few minutes.

Reply to
micky

Bad link.

Reply to
croy

If the link doesn't work when you click on it, did you cut & paste the link into a browser? Failing even that, use a search engine to the FluidMaster Web site & scroll down to desired info?

Maybe you're already done all this; just suggesting.

Reply to
Higgs Boson

No. I looked at the link and the presence of 3 dots in a row made it clear that it would not work.

That requires too much effort. I figured the OP would be in a better position to post the correct link.

Reply to
micky

Bad link and it is not working.I try a lot but could not able to open the link so share the right informative link.

Reply to
hiltan

Hiltan: The problem was that all of the links were too long to fit on one line on this web site. So, the web site computer would truncate the links. The problem was that when anyone else would click on that truncated link, their computer would interpret the dots where the truncation occured as the actual web site address, and not be able to find the correct link.

So, I found away around that problem. If you go to a previous page on this forum, you should find a thread entitled "How a toilet ballcock works". That thread will give the following instructions which SHOULD get you to the right PDF file:

So, what you're saying is that the truncated link, with the three dots in it's URL is being interpreted by other people's computers as being the full URL of the link?

OK, then let's do it this way:

Use any web browser to search for web pages containing the phrase

Water hammer in toilet tank

In the resulting list, find the "kirsner" web page which starts as follows:

****erhammer.html

(without the asterisks)

It should be near the top of the list.

Near the middle of that web page there will be a link in a red font which reads:

(without the dots)

Click on that link.

That link will take you to the correct Fluidmaster web page that explains how their diaphragm opens and closes due to the same water supply pressure acting on different size areas on each side of the diaphragm.

Post again if you don't get to the right web page.

Reply to
nestork