How a toilet ballcock works

People are telling me that the link I posted in the other thread of this name doesn't work.

To find the correct web page simply Google the following character string:

How the Fluidmaster Valve Works

Click on the 4th web site down.

Reply to
nestork

I came up with

which I don't think is the one you wanted, because yours started with
, not doityourself Not only that, it's not a pdf file.

Referring us to google would have worked, I think, 2 or 3, 5 years ago, but aiui google no longer shows the same set of hits to everyone.

Don't you have the original address in your broswer history?

OKay, last time it said "the kb is being updated, try again in a few minutes. " so I just tried again with the truncated url you gave us last time.

. Ugh. It says the same thing now.

Okay, I looked again through the hit list above for pdf files. Most were instructions or ads, but the very first hit was

This should enable people to find it. It's 11:30 now, too late for me to read it.

Reply to
micky

Micky: I have the URL in my browser, but it's exactly the one I posted in my first thread and the last you posted in your reply, but people are telling me that link doesn't work.

OK, let's do it this way:

Go to this web page:

****erhammer.html

Scroll to about half way down that web page until you get to the link in a red font which reads as follows:

Click on that link. It works. Mine doesn't. They're identical. I don't know why this one works but mine doesn't.

You should get a dialogue box telling you that your computer is about to download a 55.23 KB PDF file called "valve_works.pdf".

That's the PDF file that I was trying to link to in my first thread.

Reply to
nestork

This is another bad URL. The **** does not belong there and probably was inserted to shorten the URL. When that is done clicking on the posted URL should go the the correct full URL. But that won't happen with a text based interface because there is no mechanism to create the full URL.

Yours comes up as:

As micky wrote the 3 dots do not belong there.

Somehow in posting, the URL is being shortened in a way that does not work in text based interfaces. Could be if you copied the URL from a web based forum you posted it to.

Reply to
bud--

Bud:

So, what you're saying is that the truncated link, with the three dots in it's URL is being interpreted by other people's computers as being the full URL of the link?

OK, then let's do it this way:

Use any web browser to search for web pages containing the phrase

Water hammer in toilet tank

In the resulting list, find the following web page:

****erhammer.html

(without the asterisks)

It should be near the top of the list.

Near the middle of that web page there will be a link in a red font which reads:

(without the dots)

Click on that link.

Reply to
nestork

I don't know what you posted, but this is what showed up when I read your post:

Of course that doesn't work. Although I think it is legal to have 3 dots in a row, no one does it. It looks to me like there were consonants where the ....'s are.

404 Not found. Those 4 asterisks must have something to do with the problem.

Yes, I agree. This is it (and this is all that really matters.)

Oh, thatt's the fully spelled out version of

. Something shortened the url for some reason.

Wow. I don't know why either. But now I understand why you gave convoluted ways to get there instead of just giving the url.

Right now, it opens pdf files in a tab, and if I want to download, I have to click on the dl icon in the pdf display in the tab, and then I get that box. . I forget what I'm using but it's not Adobe.

Right.

As to the pdf file, I think you've made your point -- it makes your point -- that we were discussing a few weeks ago. But maybe I was right too. Franklly I'm not sure, but sometimes these disputes arise when both people are right. At any rate, I'm trying to recall everything we said, and I'm pretty sure you were right. I didnt' think the valve was so complicated (the part where it says it has 7 (I think it was 7) times the area.

Reply to
micky

Yes. What news client are you using. (What program to read Usenet)

I think Sea Monkey may be a lot like a web browser, with the ability to interpret html commands.

But Agent certainly doesn't do that. Whatever you post is what I see, and are either ignored or copied in as text.

I can understand that maybe your news client can read html, but I don't understand why it's so hard for you to post the full length url, without the .... or ****. Although further down, I get an idea.

It was first on my list.

In the actual url, the dots are underscores. Look in Windows Explorer for the list of file names, or look in the location field of the webbrowwser to see the name of the pdf file displayed (or look in that box that asks permission to download. I'm sure it too shows underscores. as here: ....realdialog_docs/valve_works.pdf

This is similar to copying and pasting to usenet words that include quotation marks. Quotation marks use on many webpages are not found in the font (the set of 256 characters) that many people use for their news reader. So what displays is a dark box that almost fills the space where quotes should go. Somehow the underscores are displaying as dots, and something else is displaying as asterisks.

Right.

Reply to
micky

The change to the real URL is not in 'people's computers'. In some web based forums a truncated link is shown because it is shorter, and when you click on the link you get the real link from either the web based forum or the underlying html.

In google I get: Flushing away water hammer | Real Estate | Philadelphia Weekly

The bottom line is an abbreviated version of the URL so you know about what URL you will be sent to.

The upper line is the clickable one, and will send you to the real URL. To get the real URL click and copy the real URL from the page you are sent to.

In Firefox, if you 'hover' over a clickable link the real URL is shown in a window in the lower left corner. Can be real useful to avoid being sent where you don't want to go.

Reply to
bud--

Bud:

OK, but you were able to find and download that Fluidmaster PDF file explaining how their rubber diphragm works, weren't you?

Reply to
nestork