Awl, Knife or Pencil

Page 1 of 2
Just a quick poll. Do you use an awl, knife, or pencil to mark?
Bob
knife and pencil.
Mike Coonrod
Bob wrote:

One double bevel or a pair of single bevels? I'd be surprised if anyone actually used pairs.
Surprise! I have a set of knives and use them!
Gordon Airport wrote:

Yup - I have a set of them (right,left and double) and also use them. Dan McLaughlin
snipped-for-privacy@mnw-consultants.com
I'm duly impressed. Do you color code the handles or something? Maybe keep one behind each ear ;-) And I can barely keep track of one knife.
My Dad told me; "Measure it with a micrometer,mark it with a grease pencil and cut it with an axe" Bill

Bob wrote:

Pencil for most stuff, awl for critical marking.
-- Mark
95% Pencil 5% Knife

Ditto. (aside to Gordon - a double bevel knife, one of Pat Leach's specials from a few years back. Dunno if he still sells them).
John
A Magic marker. . . . . . . . .
just kidding! Sharp pencil.
dave
Bob wrote:

YES!

And a Sharpie marker a few times in a pinch . . .
snipped-for-privacy@operamail.com (Bob) wrote in

Mostly a knife, double bevel...made by Hock...pencil for rough work...
DCH
I forgot: 3M blue tape. I use that to mark finished wood like baseboard, crown, etc. works great!
dave
Bob wrote:

Bob wrote:

Yes.
On 13 Oct 2003 12:38:23 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@operamail.com (Bob) wrote:

What????? you got no crayons? :-]

Depends on the application. For framing and rough work, a black Sharpie. For most everything else, a pencil. For the fine stuff, like dovetails and precise cuts, a single bevel knife.
JE
snipped-for-privacy@operamail.com says...

Marking knife for furniture projects, pencil for "carpentry-class" projects (sharpened really well)
On 13 Oct 2003 12:38:23 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@operamail.com (Bob) wrote:

All of the above.
Barry