Pencil Sharpener

Thats what we called the small hand held device with a blade used to sharpen a pencil.

My son, raised in s different part of the country, calls it a pencil parer and yesterday I heard his wife, from anothe part of the country, call it a pencil topper.

Any other names out there ?

Reply to
fred

Police probably call it an offensive weapon. Apparently its even frowned upon carrying a screwdriver around with you these days. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

That's the only name I've heard it called

nope, never heard the term, but google has.

A pencil topper, I'd say was either one of those wedge shaped erasers, or those "novelty" plastic animal/gonk/why things.

Wikip says parer and topper and both Irish terms.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Isn't that a knife?

Reply to
Mark

It was when I was at primary school; we had to go up to the teacher's desk to use a wood handled stanley knive, as far as I recall nobody died.

Reply to
Andy Burns

pen a pencil.

r and yesterday I heard his wife, from anothe part of the country, call it a pencil topper.

At school we had this:-

harry

Crikey. Even 'we' had a rotary pencil sharpener in every classroom.

Although the woodwork teacher impressed by using a chisel.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

On Mon, 25 Sep 2017 15:09:01 +0100, Andy Burns coalesced the vapors of human experience into a viable and meaningful comprehension...

Knives were compulsory at ours.

In the Juniors, the first thing we made in Woodwork was a balsa pipe-rack for our dads. (This is un-PC on several levels). We used a modeling knife to whittle the indentations in the base for the pipe bowls.

In High school all the boys in my class made a dagger (The girls had to do cookery or learning about periods, IIRC) officially it was a paper-knife but any passing Samurai would have been impressed in how we sharpened and honed those blades.

To his credit, the teacher did blunt some of the finer examples on the grind-stone before we could take them home.

Reply to
Graham.

Quenching was a great demonstration of how to make the edges hard.

I suppose its in the end all about responsibility. the guy who was walking along with his javelin point forwards in a crowded field of children was a moron, and I had to suffer a hole in my leg because of it. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff