LED bulb flickering

I have an LED bulb in my lounge that flickers a bit on start-up. Are there any safey implications? I have no objection in principle to replacing it - which is what I would normally do - but it is one of five and I cannot find an identical unit so I would be left with one that looks a bit odd or having to replace all five.

Reply to
Scott

Can you open it & resolder the connections? That might or might not fix it.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

They're usually potted in silicone gunge ... I had one that gave the occasional flicker, then got worse, until sometimes it wouldn't start, then it went FOT, nothing too violent but game over.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I cannot imagine its dangerous, but it would be interesting to if it flickers if you move it to one of the other fittings or if the flickering stays in the same fitting. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

LED - not CFL?

Surprised you can't find a matching replacement. Can you uphotograph the data markings and upload for the group to see?

Reply to
DerbyBorn

That's what I did to find out if it was the bulb or the light fitting that was to blame. It's Edison screw so poor connection is always a possibility. I don't know why this system is used.

Reply to
Scott

I'm not sure how to do that but it's ES (27mm), 300 Lumens and 3000 Kelvin colour temp. Made by LUMiLIfe but I won't be buying that again!

Reply to
Scott

Like this one?

Fredxxx

No - substantial mismatch. The ones I have are 300 Lumens and this is

470. Colour temperature of the ones I have is 3000K and this is 2700K. The ones I have are 25W replacement and this is 40W replacement.

In summary, the one you suggest would be too bright and redder than the others.

Reply to
Scott

It might be worth checking out your local Poundland or Poundworld for six quid's worth of 3W 240 Lm ses candle lamps[1] (assuming your 5 lamp chandelier[2] uses that common ses lamp socket size). At that price, it's well worth buying an extra lamp as a spare or, as it turned out in my case, to let you complete the re-lamping in one go when one of the set proves to be a dud (in which case, you return said dud to exchange for a working spare at your own convenience).

[1] If your luminary accepts the larger size of lamp, you may be able to fit the larger and brighter 5W 380 Lm size of candle lamp. [2] In view of the location and the need for matching the replacement to the existing lamps, I've made a reasonable assumption that a 5 lamp chandelier is involved. Apologies if I've made an ASS out of U and ME. :-)
Reply to
Johnny B Good

It is full size (27mm) Edison screw. This is the problem. I am trying to avoid the replacement being much brighter than the existing lamp. Also,a candle lamp would look out of place against globes. I wonder from my photograpy days how critical this is as I think it takes a doubling of power output to provide an increase of one stop.

That's right - five lamps each 4.5W. .

Reply to
Scott

LED bulbs have clever electronics in them, different bulbs have different electronics, so all 5 should be the same type (use the existing bulbs elsewhere)

I've been watching BigDave's videos and learning about LEDs today.

george

Reply to
DICEGEORGE

This last is correct, each doubling of lumen output corresponds to a one stop increase for any given shutter speed at any one iso speed rating. A quadrupling of lumen output is two stop's worth with 3 stop's worth requiring an octupling of lumen output.

You say a candle lamp would look out of place against globes. It seems to me that your chandelier is using standard A60 E26 GLS lamps. If this is the case, the solution is even better. Go to your handiest Poundland or Poundworld shop and purchase half a dozen 6W 470lm 3000K A60 E26 GLS lamps (a full set and a spare). Don't be tempted to substitute with their

5.5W 470lm golfball LES lamps which use too compact a diffuser envelope to prevent the LED assembly overheating and failing prematurely.
300lm at 4.5W is a rather shoddy 66.7lm per watt, only as efficient as the most efficient of CFLs. Even Poundland/Poundworld can do better than that with their 6W 470lm A60 BC22 and A60 E26 GLS lamps at a barely acceptable 78.3lm/per watt. What makes 'barely acceptable' acceptable in this case is the low price tag of a quid per lamp. :-)

In most domestic lighting scenarios, you usually have to go out of your way to land up with 'Too much illumination'. An increase from 300 to

470lm per lamp represents just over half a stop improvement in photographic terms and one that's likely to be perceived as a much welcomed and overdue improvement.
Reply to
Johnny B Good

Big Clive.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Thanks for all the advice. It seems the cool white are far more diffiicult to source than the warm white. I tried warm white from Poundland but they were too dim and too yellow. I have ordered more expensive bulbs online. These are 470 lumens which, as has been pointed out, is less than one stop's difference in photographic terms to the ones I had.

Reply to
Scott