100W equivalent LED bulb

I recently bought a couple of these Integral 16W[*] LED bulbs:

They really do seem to be as bright as a 100W bulb, and similar to a Philips "110W equivalent" 23W compact fluorescent. The light is directed downwards more than with an incandescent (they claim a 140 degree angle) but they seem to light up the useful areas of the room perfectly well (I'm using spherical paper shades).

Of course they are ridiculously expensive, and have even gone up on the Amazon website since I bought them.

[*] The Integral web site has two pages for bulbs with the same part number, one described as 16W and discontinued, the other described as 13.5W. So I'm not certain which I have.

-- Richard

Reply to
Richard Tobin

led lights on cars make my eyes go funny ...hate them

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ/m ...

+1 And LED traffic lights too. They strobe and leave a dotted trail across my field of vision. It surprises me that more people aren't affected, but in general when you mention it, most people don't know what you're on about.

Domestic LED lights use DC and are more than bright enough for vehicle lamps, so why does the automotive industry need to strobe theirs?

And how fast does a car tail light need to strobe, so as not to be considered flashing by the construction & use rules, or whatever legislation governs these things?

Reply to
Graham.

Sure that's not just to keep the LEDs from cooking themselves? Probably easier (read cheaper) to strobe than use effective heatsinking...

Reply to
Lee

That would only apply if they were more efficient when run from a pulsed high current than a constant lower one. It that true?

-- Richard

Reply to
Richard Tobin

I have just fitted 84 of the 10W Integral LEDs (equivalent to 60W).

The beam angle is low IMHO

Reply to
ARW

...and why use stupid LEDs in cars ayway ?

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ/m ...

LEDs are smart in brake lights because they give a slightly earlier warning.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

For a given current, 'strobing' reduces the average light output - the LED is only on for some fraction of the time. Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) and mark-space ration are words to Google.

The same LEDs are used for tail and brake lights. They're 'strobed' for tail (dimmer) and continuous for brake (brightest) to get the necessary brightness difference.

Cheers

Reply to
Syd Rumpo

will that help stop wummin drivers crashing in to you ? ....

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ/m ...

And having no filament they should have a longer life.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Does that happen to you a lot? Perhaps you should learn which gears are forward and which are reverse.

Reply to
Tim Streater

A few months ago I got a few 13W from Ryness supposed to be a replacement for 75W incandescents (1060 Lumens), but they seem to us to be adequate replacements for old 100W bulbs, especially as you say the light is directed downwards a bit more than with an incandescent. Price not quite as ridiculous at £12 - might be good value if the claimed life is really reached:

I assume that other retailers have something similar.

Reply to
Clive Page

At that price you may as well buy the Philips 18W MASTER LED Bulb (100W Replacement) Warm White bulbs which have a better colour (IMHO) and light distribution.

Reply to
Michael Chare

?9 in B&Q

Reply to
harryagain

would that help ? ...

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ/m ...

That is all down to the range of frequencies they give out though. They try to fool the eye into thinking its white, but its got big holes in the spectrum apparently. Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

Is it not something to do with duty cycle? Which reminds me, the new lower wattage versions of those bulbs may well be more efficient so they dissipate less heat, resulting in the lower wattage. The cheaper prices may well have been to clear the old stock.

Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

Not often. But the last one to do so came out with a brilliant excuse after reversing out of her drive across the road and into my van.

"Its not my fault, you were not parked there when I put my car on the drive"

Reply to
ARW

They use less energy that way.

Reply to