Are you supposed to tip a freight delivery driver?

Page 5 of 10

True in many states Oregon pays a minimum wage of $7.50 an hour now I believe unless it went up again. I can only speak for this state and what I know having recently quit managing a restaurant here to move on be able to work out side.
Al
As do I but depending on which state you live in they make 8 to 9 bucks and hour here.. I know in some states they make about 2.30 an hour and agree with you there.

Atcually it was a terrible job of the server in this case.
The driver on the other hand is making a decent living and

Very generous you are. I however feel that if you get bad service or bad food the problem should be corrected before even thinking of presenting a reward to the waiter. Cleaning up is part of the job, no one would go to a restaraunt with messy tables. There are crappy jobs in every industry. Waiters have the benefit of a reward if he does his job correctly. His job does include making sure that you are happy with what you ordered.
If outback gave me lousy food I might resort to 15%.

Sounds like you are simply rewarding Outback for bad service. Consider also, what tip does the cook get out of the meal that he has cooked for you?

We ate at a restaurant recently, and our waitress happened to have some relatives of hers in the booth 2 booths over. So instead of servicing us, she kept standing there gabbing with them. After 20 minutes, I stood up and walked over to her and asked for drink refills. She gave me a dirty look like I was an intruder and she said ok. Then I sat down, and a few minutes later, my wife said: "go ask her for more bread also." So I walk over to the waitress, who's still gabbing, and as I'm walking up she says: "You already told me to get refills; I'm on my way to get them!" and gives me a look that would peel paint. I left her a penny tip and called the manager about her. Buttholes don't deserve to be rewarded with tips.
-
I left her a penny tip and called the

Whenever I get bad service, bad food, or just bad anything, I NEVER EVER leave without a face to face with the manager to let them know. In many cases, it is not the restaurant's doing, and they appreciate the heads up.
We had two OBNOXIOUS children in a booth near us at a Mexican restaurant one night. Screaming and running around. I have been going to this restaurant chain for decades. When I complained to the manager, she said, "This IS a family restaurant." I did the meanest nastiest thing I could. I told her that she would get no more of my business, that I would bring no more family or guests to the restaurant, and would not suggest it when asked for a good Mexican restaurant.
Her attitude was, whatever.
Usually they appreciate being told about a crappy server or cook. AND I will also go to the trouble of turning in a good report on an exceptionally good performance.
But I always do it face to face. One time I got a $100 gift certificate at a really good restaurant for reporting something I didn't like.
Steve

Screw the manager, I tell the parents face to face and that usually works remarkabley well.

The parents were mirror images of the children.

All the more reason to explain proper public behavior to the parents.

I'm sorry. I have never had a talent for communicating with idiots. They don't understand me, and I can't lower myself to their level no matter what the purpose.
Steve

It does take balls.

Yes, and in today's society makes as much sense as getting out of your car to correct that driver that just cut you off.
Steve

I have done that too although my wife was not impressed. I did wait until the SOB cut me off a second time on the same street. He rolled his window up quickly.

You were lucky. Many people have been killed or seriously injured in that exact scenario.
Steve

I wouldn't consider it lucky. You probably have about a good of chance of winning the lottery as you do getting killed for confronting someone about cutting you off....
People just don't have any stones anymore. :)

I was coming down a tight, twisting mountain road with huge cliffs. I was going the speed limit, 35mph. Some rednecks in a beat up old Chevy truck rush right up to my back bumper and stay there all the way down. I mean like 10 feet behind me. So I roll down my window and flip them the universal sign for "you're number 1." They took offense, burned rubber, sped around me, got in front of me and started slowing way down. When we were at about 10mph, they drove over to the shoulder and stopped and 3 shirtless inbreds jumped out. I drove over to the shoulder also (in front of them) but didn't stop completely. Then I just floored it and threw a lot of dirt back at them! It was classic. Then I sped down the rest of the mountain, not too far to go, and took off. Don't you hate when someone else makes the driving error, you call them on it, and THEY take offense! Like they're the ones who were following the safety/road rules.
-

If you were doing the speed limit, I'd probably be riding on your ass too. I hate it when people creep along like that.
wrote in message

Did you read what I had written? I was coming down a dangerous mountain with tight, twisting turns and high cliffs. I was going the speed limit. And chances are, if I weren't there, the truck wouldn't have gone too much over the speed limit himself; he was just being an ass by riding my bumper. So I let him know about it. It was only 1.5 miles coming down that mountain, the SOB in the truck should have been content to stay at the speed limit and probably was, but again he had to be an ass and tailgate me. People who rush up on people, tailgate, and stay there are asses, plain and simple. I think you're describing a different type situation: like being behind some person driving 15mph in a 25mph or something in a one-lane residential area.
-

Yes, I read it. My answer stands. If the speed limit is 35, you won't go over the cliff at 36. Yes, I've driven on twisting mountain roads. If the posted speed is X, you can usually safely drive a X+10 mph
wrote in message

"Usually"? What happens in the "unusual" cases?
Steve
wrote in message

Yeah, what this Edwin dude doesn't realize (and I had forgotten to mention) that this particular twisty mountain road with high cliffs was prone, in the winter mornings which this was, to developing black ice. Hyper-aggressive driving knuckleheads often kill innocent drivers, all so they can get to wherever they're going a few minutes faster. Ever hear of leaving your house on time? So you don't have to speed?
-