Are you supposed to tip a freight delivery driver?

Page 3 of 10

Prometheus wrote:

from poor self esteem, and the chip on his shoulder grows every time he makes a delivery and isn't showered with money for doing his job. Being the wimp that he is, he tries to intimidate everyone here into thinking that if you don't tip, your next delivery is going to be destroyed by the big, bad teamster character who handles your goods.
Dave

No, Dave. I'm retired.
If you will read my last post, perhaps it will answer where I was coming from.
I gave good service to good people. I did lots of things for free, including many things that were WAAAAY over and above the scope of my job description. I also had a way of dealing with greedy idiots that were trying to get a lot more than they paid for.
Steve
Steve B wrote:

a "let's show them how well I can screw them over" place because I'm a rough and tumble Teamster and don't screw with me! If that's not the case, that's good, and I withdraw my criticisms. :)
Dave

For you, and the group, I'm not really even talking about the run of the mill small business and household delivery world.
I was merely commenting on the worst of the worst in one of the most hectic locations in the world for freight handling. At MAJOR conventions. The ones with 300,000 attendees. Companies that showed up with 47 semis of freight. And some of the small men and minds who try every day to get around the rules and the small guys to save a buck and get more than they paid for.
Greedy types.
Although it may seem like a simple question, do I tip a driver or not, it is not. Attitude, special conditions, extra help, kindness, lots of variables come into play, and each man picks his own way to handle things.
Yes, a person is entitled to have his stuff delivered. No tip necessary.
When it goes over that line, and they want you to wait, or unload it, or put it somewhere special that requires all sorts of gyrations, or then come back and move it over there, or lots of other things that some people expect you to do for free, that's when it gets interesting.
Sorry I wasn't more specific in my explanation. Having a drill press delivered to your house is different than an environment that has 2,000 semis full of freight to move in, then move out four or five days later. My job, position, and responsibilities were light years away from what was being discussed. And those who have never worked in that environment don't understand what I was talking about.
I apologize.
Steve

I've been your customer. I was always appreciative of a professional in your position. Thank you.
Patriarch
On Tue, 08 Aug 2006 20:31:28 -0700, Steve B wrote:

So Steve, did you consider this to be 'doing your job'? The way I see it, somebody already paid your employer to deliver the freight and your employer has already agreed to pay you for delivering the freight and then you stand there and DON'T DELIVER THE FREIGHT.
I presently AM a Teamster and formerly was a UTU guy (Conrail ... when we lost freight we lost boxcar loads at a time!). It was my job to deliver the freight -on time and in good condition- ... AND THAT'S WHAT I DID.
For my part, if the driver does much more than simply pull up and wait while I unload, then he's probably done something extra and should be slipped a couple extra skins for his effort. But if all he does is sit while I unload and then retaliates the lack of an (unearned) tip, then I'll simply specify a different common carrier with my next order. And he won't get ANY money from my next purchase. Not even his wages.
Times are tough. You want the money? Do the work.
Bill

I agree. I was referring to deadbeats and stiffs that try to take advantage of freight handlers.
Steve
Steve B wrote:

LOL.. I worked at one place, it was huge, it had about 8 different shipping docks scattered all over the "campus".. My boss was a prick. He was expecting 6 large packages. Every day, he called up our dock and gave them hell about "where's my packages?" They fixed him up good. Over the next 3 months, they slowly started to be "found" at other docks. Every one of them was damaged.
I didn't help with this, and I don't condone it, but sometimes it's better not to be a jerk to people that can screw you over.

Makes about as much sense as insulting your barber during a haircut, doesn't it?
And yet, there are those who will do it.
Steve

Not necessary as you have paid for the service. I assure you that when he delivers to a regular retail store he does not get a tip. However if you feel grateful enough, by all means tip the guy. I

I understand the difference when delivering to a business. I receive shipments via semi at work all the time (*BIG* computers) and obviously don't even consider tipping them. It just seems different when it's a home delivery since I don't have a loading dock or forklift.
It's not that I felt so grateful that I "wanted" to tip (I already paid $125 for shipping), I just don't want to be seen as a cheapskate and maybe pay for it later with late/damaged shipments if I do business with the same driver again.

Even with out lift gates or fork lifts I too have received stock on a daily basis at a business. For the most part a loading dock and fork lift at a delivery location is a luxury mor most delivery drivers.

The driver will pay if you will receive a damaged shipment. I would not worry about it unless he went out of his way to help you out. Otherwise, he is just doing his job.
James E. Cannon wrote:

driver is going to damage upcoming shipments to you purposely and vindictively, because you didn't pay him "protection"?? Good grief, man, that's not how it works! If you go to a restaurant and order a couple of $35+ meals for you and the missus and leave a $5 tip, THAT'S considered being a cheapskate, as anyone paying for that expensive of a meal can certainly afford a 50% tip.
Dave

Sorry, Dave. That's not how it works. I worked conventions in Las Vegas for a lot of years. Repeat customers.
You had one yokel this year that stiffed you after going all out for them, and next year, attitude was different. The companies are limited to a $50 limit on lost/damaged freight. You could run your tines through a box when no one was looking, the exhibitor could lose many thousands of dollars in exhibits, and the culprit was never found. Or, you put an "empty" sticker on a full box, and it goes to the boneyard. Cost of retrieval, about two grand.
We gave good service. We were paid well. But a stiff is a stiff when someone gets more than they pay for. Or intentionally screws you.
Paybacks are a bitch.
And they're so easy.
Steve

That's a felony.

Either one of these should get you fired, and by rights, in jail.

I can see you've never been a Teamster union member.

Is that an excuse or an explanation? The behaviour of your purported teamster is criminal, and should be prosecuted.
If you participated in similar activities, you are also a criminal, and should be prosecuted.
IIRC, the teamsters have historically been run by criminals anyway, hardly an organization to hold up to your children as something to aspire to.
The fact that a Union can excuse criminal behaviour is far from the origins of the union movement which was to protect the worker from hazardous working and living conditions.
On Wed, 09 Aug 2006 12:32:34 -0700, Steve B wrote:

I can see you've never been the sort of person I would care to associate with.
My whole plant (until tomorrow ... I'm quitting due to LOUSY union wages) is Teamster and we bust our buns getting the right product in the right box and on the right truck (prolly about 20-25 loads a day).
To think that the driver, also a Teamster, would louse that up shows a remarkable lack of union unity.
Bill
Steve B wrote:

serious attitude problem and are most likely both passive aggressive AND antisocial. Now go back to your destruction derby...
Dave