Are you supposed to tip a freight delivery driver?

Page 2 of 10

I'm happily retired. You need to get those rose colored glasses checked for a new strength. Your view of reality does not coincide with the real thing.
Yes, life's not fair, and there's no justice in the world, and some things are just not right. For you to prattle on about such things just shows you must be a Liberal Democrat. These things happen every day.
Steve

Well you can fall into the attitude that you apparently have or had. It certainly is easy. I was there once when I was very young and ran a tire store. I was able to get past it and retired at 40 from the automotive industry. A good and successful salesman or representative has to swallow his pride on occasion and try to see it from his customers point if view. Back in the mid 80's I was the Service Sales Manager for a large Oldsmobile dealer in Houston. We typically saw 350 to 400 customers a week and I would say that probably 20% had a gripe of beef about something and 99.9% of the time the gripe was justified. We had one of the best customer satisfaction ratings in the city and we had a 3rd party contact every customer after we had worked on his car. My service advisors received an extra $500 bonus each month that his customers gave him a 95% or better service satisfaction rating. I got an extra $1000 bonus for each month that the service advisors average score was 95% or better. I never missed that $1000 bonus. With every employee that I hired I explained that the customer is the person that regulates your paycheck. Keep him happy and we both will be happy. Why were 20% of the customers unsatisfied then they came to our dealership? Mostly because they were driving a Detroit built car that no other local dealership could fix.
A good and successful salesman or representative has to swallow

I saw a cute cartoon: Man talking to a lady at a complaints desk.
Man says, Lady, if we let you keep the merchandise, refund all your money, AND shoot the salesman, then would you be happy?
wrote

LOL...I actually used that tactic on occasion and it really works well. Sometimes coming from left field with a comment defuses the situation. One of my service advisors introduced me to one of his better customers one day. He called me in my office and asked that I come and meet Ms. So n So. The 2 of them were actually in on this little meeting together.
Mr. Leon, I would like you to meet a good customer of mine and let you know that she has been having a problem getting an intermittent problem resolved. I stood there nodding my head and listening and looking at her as he went on to say, Mr. Leon, I told Ms. So n So not to worry as her satisfaction was our goal and that we were going to resolve the problem with her car even if it TOOK EVERY PENNEY THAT SHE HAD. I almost got whip lash as I turned my head and stared directly at my service advisor in disbelief.
Ms. So n So was the first to crack up laughing. She was only there to get an oil change. Whew!
On Wed, 09 Aug 2006 13:21:52 -0700, Steve B wrote:

I managed for Dominos Pizza in Detroit and that WAS the guarantee.
If we shanked the pizza and had to make a replacement, you got it AND a full refund. If the driver balked, you could also keep him ... we certainly had no further use for him.

If you stiff a pizza delivery boy just make sure he isn't the same guy delivering your next pizza....unless you happen to like body fluids as a topping. :-)

Some sound advice I got early in life from an old timer:
Never mess with the barber or the cook.
Steve
W Canaday wrote:

??? Not heard that expression. I've heard "shank" as in "stab" and "shank" as in "ride shank's mare" meaning "walk" but I'm having difficulty associating either with a pizza.

A few of the drivers I've seen around here I wouldn't mind keeping . . . Manager at the local Dominos has remarkable taste in women.
--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
J. Clarke wrote:

Think "golf".
"The shank is the portion or part of an iron where the club face and hosel meet. When a golfer hits the ball in that area of the club head it produces a unwanted ball reaction which is called and widely accepted as a "shank."
http://www.topendsports.com/sport/golf/shank.htm
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

I thought it was from football - when a punter kicks the ball off his leg instead of his foot, the lower leg being the shank, and the ball wobbling off randomly to one side or the other with much less height and distance than normal. But maybe football took the term from golf?
--
John

Steve B wrote:

Which reminds me of the MCI call I got once. I told the guy "Look, if you people will issue a public apology to AT&T and on national televison draw and quarter that obnoxious woman in your ads who says "Are you out there AT&T" then, and only then, I might _think_ about changing to MCI." The idiot went on with his sales pitch at which point I hung up on him.
--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
Leon wrote:

Trying to understand other sides and views isn't a bad overall life strategy.

Yeah, works for me.

Only if it immobilizes you to the point that you cannot then go and do the right thing.
Steve

HUH?

People overthink things. "What will the other person think?" "How will I look if I do this or that?" So, they do nothing, because they are immobilized. They do nothing. When deep down inside they know the right thing to do, but can't because they are restrained by the "what ifs" placed on them.
Steve

I see. Never has been a problem for me though.

Ah! The same liberal Democrats that have traditionally supported union organizations for decades? So lemme get this straight; now you support conservative republicans? And how does that help your beloved teamsters?
--
"New Wave" Dave In Houston

"Tom Veatch" <.> wrote in message said:

Welcome to reality, Mr. Veatch.

Steve,
I don't know what constitutes a PITA for you, but I don't make much money at my day job- in fact, every major (and most minor) tool purchases I've ever made came from doing extra work on nights and weekends. It took 9 weeks of working 5 ten hour days at my regular job and 2 additional 14 hour days a week doing remodeling on the side for me to buy my lathe and tablesaw. Now, I didn't get them delievered because the charges cost too much for my budget- but if I had, I would not only have had to pay a company a day's wages, but also try and get 500 pounds of cast iron off the back of a semi in each case while the driver sat and thought about was an ass I was for not having a forklift in my garage for that once-every-5-years delivery.
The long and short of it is that getting the stuff delievered hurts enough- without some asshole trying to wreck the stuff you busted your hump for. Like I said, I don't know what you're considering a PITA, but your attitude is completely nuts. It's not that I *won't* tip a driver- but after paying a grand for a tool, and another $200 to have someone deliver it, sometimes people *can't* tip. That's not being an jerk, that's trying to make sure you can eat that week.