Anybody get the book?

Page 1 of 2
Popular Woodworking, it appears, has mailed all of their subscribers a book. They tell you that if you like the book, send them 9 bucks. Otherwise, repackage the book and mail it back.
I live quite a ways from the post office, in a very rural area. So, I get this little notice to go to the post office, which we seldom ever do. But, as we hardly ever get these notices, we drop what we're doing, go to the post office, get our package, bring it home and open it up and there's this book. I am not happy with this book. And I am not happy with the interruption of my day. I know that according to the law, I do not have to return the book, nor send them any money. But, being in a friendly frame of mind, I repackage the book, and include a nice letter outlining my displeasure with the action Popular Woodworking has taken. I had just renewed my subscription and sent them the money. Now, they get to repackage that money and send it back.
Maybe I'm just an old grouch in my old age but I believe this was a very sleazy method of marketing.
Maverick
Maverick (akmaverick by any chance?), I agree with you. I think you were definitely being nice to them by returning the book especially considering the travel and time involved on your part.
A few years ago I received a book from Reader's Digest. Same sort of thing--unsolicited--they just sent it. Knowing the postal regulations I decided to keep the free gift. RD sent a request for payment. I sent it back with a note telling them that I wasn't paying for it since I hadn't requested it. Then I started getting notices from some collection agency and eventually a law firm.
I sent the RD, the collection agency and the law firm (the last two I suspect don't actually exist but are a figment of Reader's Digest's imagination) a letter telling them that I didn't appreciate the harrassment and that I would be turning the matter over to my state's attorney general and the Better Business Bureau. I also informed RD that if I ever got another piece of mail or a phone call from them that I would consider it further harrassment and would contact a lawyer. That seemed to work and I've never been bothered by them again.
Dave

Sleazy and illegal in my state. The same thing happened to me with a 'partner' of Wachovia when it issued credit cards. Seems Leisure Advantage a branch of AT& T(IIRC) ordered me a discount 'travel plan' without my approval. I contacted the state attorney general in my state , the attorney general in the state that Leisure Advantage was based and the postal inspector. I filed a complaint with each and each agency followed through. In the end, Leisure Advantage removed the charge it had made and gave me an additional $70 credit. You don't have to just sit and take it. Call your state attorney general and get a complaint form. They will bring a lot more to bear on PW than an individual. Larry
--
Lawrence L'Hote
Columbia, MO
Lawrence L'Hote wrote:

book.
this
of
repackage
Definitely sleazy, but I wouldn't consider it beneath most magazine publishers. None of them get real high marks in my book for customer-oriented behavior. When I canceled my american woodworker subscription due to it getting too readers-digest-like (yes, I know who publishes it), I spent 10 phone calls arguing with them over their supposed *policy* that they _couldn't_ cancel it, even upon my request due to the fact that I purchased the subscription through a third party *agent*. In this case, the agent was a neighborhood high school kid I was helping out with a fundraiser. Not only this, but they don't keep records on who the agents are so I have to go track the kid down if I want to cancel. Utter bullshit says I, and they better get their stuff together or calls will be placed to attorneys, bbb etc....(ok, this was a bluff, but it worked). A week later they call back saying that they found out the agent organization and they're canceling my subscription. Odd, says I, you said you didn't keep those records for anyone. What, was *MY* account mysteriously tagged with the agent information that you were able to call me with, or were you just flat out lying to me trying to make me go away? No, nevermind, that was rhetorical. So, 2 weeks later, I get a check for the balance of my subscription. This was nine months ago.
AND NOW, the kicker,
I'm still receiving the magazine.
"Maverick" wrote in message

Naaaah, you're right in feeling that way, IMO ... and by sending the book back, you definitely keep them busy handling the results of their dubious marketing schemes. If everyone took the time to send the books back, they would soon quit.
That said, there is a recent "marketing scheme" that I DO like.
Got a CD in the mail from TurboTax. Stick it in the CD drive, access their website, pay for your desired version with a credit card and bingo, you've got a full fledged copy of TT, no fuss, no muss, no travel, no standing in line.
That, I like.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

This is a good idea and I have gotten those also but I always get the CD about 3 weeks after buying the copy from the store. They need to send them out first. Additionally I have found the store price to be cheaper.

Leon wrote:

I think with the CD in the mail / online purchase, you get the state version for free. So it works out even / slightly better deal than walking into the store. IIRC, last year I got an email in conjunction with the CD, this year just the CD came in the mail. Been using TT for the last 5 years, don't know why I paid someone before that!

Well no, Texas has not State Income Tax. I have been using TurboTax for about 15 years.
Leon wrote:

Yeah, that might be a deal breaker. Must be nice! ( No wonder all them folks from California are moving to your state!)
"Leon" wrote in message

Ditto here ... my CD for 2004 came sometime before Christmas.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

Becareful with Intuit's TurboTax. Don't ever sign up for next year. It took me two years to get my name and credit card number off their mail list. Each time I called I end up in India and spending hours each time... Just DON'T do it if you understand me, it's just not worth it!
"WD" wrote in message

their
you've
in
took me

time I

if you

They're out to get _you_! :)
I've been using them for better than 10 years and never had that problem.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

Try to cancel it and see what I mean, just try it....

Except that Intuit is as sleazy as the mag publishers. Examples include their recent letter to Quicken users, "sunsetting" anything other than their new version that has less features and is loaded with more ads and "phone home" features than the versions being sunsetted. I had used TurboTax for a number of years until 3 years ago when they tried their "product activation" scheme that limited use to a single computer, jeopardized the ability to recover records, and used a protection scheme that was highly dubious (i.e. had many characteristics of spyware). I migrated to TaxCut and have been satisfied with it as well, it's as easy to use and thus far they don't treat their customers like criminals. (Take a look at ed foster's gripe line and do a search on turbotax for some better detail than I can type in a few seconds. <www.gripe2ed.com> Ed Foster writes for Infoworld. Unfortunately, it looks like there are only allusions to the earlier activation/spyware incident, most of what is there is more recent things that Intuit is doing (e.g. won't import from soon-to-be-sunsettted Quicken versions and reduced functionality). Here is a link from the original Intuit behavior: <http://www.infoworld.com/article/03/02/14/07gripe_1.html Note that the complaints here are not that Intuit was protecting its software, but how and the effects it had on honest folks.
"Mark & Juanita" wrote in message

Yep ... I heartily dislike Intuit, and particularly QuickBooks ... have used the latter exclusively for about ten years for my Internet company. Intuit definitely sucks since they took over with their corporate attitude and MSFT programming mentality.
However, I started with TaxCut years ago for my personal taxes and then moved over to TurboTax, I have never regretted the move ... _yet_.
That said, I load it at the last minute, do my taxes, and get that crap off my computer as fast as I can. The Discs/now CDs go in with the years receipts and a print out of all the worksheets.
I could care less whether I ever see it again, nor would I ever have a need to load it again.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

include
than
and
their
scheme
They've completely abandoned that type of production activation.

I agree with you. They went to the trouble to send it to you, if it is truly valuable and they want it back they can come and get it also. Imagine a local store delivering to you instead of to the correct address and wanting you to complete the delivery or go to the trouble to return their mistake.
It is Popular Woodworking's mistake in assuming that you wanted to buy the book. It is their responsibility to come and get it if they want it back.

Unless the law has been changed, you have no obligation to return anything that you didn't request..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

I have to wonder how many of these stories may actually be the result of some jerk filling out trial book club memberships in someone else's name, and not sleazy business practices.
Just a thought. Mike Mike Patterson Please remove the spamtrap to email me. "I always wanted to be somebody...I should have been more specific..." - Lily Tomlin