Any tools still made in the USA?

Page 9 of 13
Charlie Self wrote:

What, yours is busted? I have a knockoff that's similar except they put the 6 on the wrong side of the split, and the backslash is in a stupid place. Other than the minor inconvenience, it's a pretty solid keyboard. I have it on my son's computer, but he never uses it. I'd be happy to send it your way if you need it. Dad gave it to me a long time ago, and I've been hanging onto it mostly as a spare in case my own Natural keyboard kicks the bucket. Thing is so old that most of the letters are worn off.
I absolutely detest Microsoft, but I have to admit that this has been an excellent keyboard. I was bored and counted my lifetime usenet achievement awhile back, and came up with around 18,000 messages. If you figure an average of only 100 words per message, and five letters and a space per word (both low, since I write big messages with lots of twenty dollar college boy words), that's 10,800,000 keystrokes just for usenet posting alone.
Yup. Made in USA.
Silvan asks:

I've got a couple replacements. Problem is, they're all about 1/3 the weight of the old version so with my typing technique they tend to dance around.

One thing you learn when writing for a living is only use the long words when short ones absolutely will not do. That basically means you almost never use the long words. Took me a couple years to get over a degree in English, but that was back when I was about your age. I haven't got any idea how much key clicking has been done on this keyboard, but I've written 3-4 books and dozens, possibly hundreds, of magazine articles, several tool manuals and a lot of other things, plus correspondence on and off line for the 6 years I've had it.
Charlie Self
"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things." Sir Winston Churchill

funny... I turned my natural keyboard over, and "Made in Mexico"
d hamann notes:

How old is it, and how heavy is it? Mine is one of the originals, made in the U.S., and my wife's is one I can't used it's so light (about 1/3 the weight of this monster). Dunno where it was made, but it's only 2-3 years old, so probably elsewhere.
Charlie Self "I hope our wisdom will grow with our power, and teach us, that the less we use our power the greater it will be." Thomas Jefferson
Charlie Self wrote:

I got mine in '91 I think. It was hella expensive, but worth every penny. Probably the only time I will *ever* say that about a M$ product.
I wouldn't characterize it as being "heavy" though. It's pretty much a featherweight compared to my old keyboard. *That* one still works too, and has all mechanical switches, but I can't use a straight keyboard anymore. My wrists scream bloody murder after about five minutes.

I have too many problems with their software. But for hardware (keyboards, mice, ...) MS has a good reputation.
Have you tried their Trackball Explorer, perchance? I think it tries to phone home once an hour and gets annoyed when it can't get out (and that's only one of it's "issues").
I'm partially to the ole made in the USA IBM keyboards.
Renata
On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 22:01:17 GMT, d snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (D) wrote:

I bought it in '97, so it's still the original design. They probably moved production down there sometime in the 90's.
On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 14:24:53 GMT, d snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (D) wrote:

My Logitech is made in Thailand.
My pack of Duracell AAA batteries says "Made in the USA or China."
On 10 Nov 2003 21:26:33 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

Same here... Don't laugh - I am using a genuine Heath/Zenith keyboard with real American switches made in the 80s for the US Government military.
I have to modify the BIOS in every new system I build, 'cause it won't work with each progression in speed - even though it 'should'.
You can't BUY that quality anymore. You have the choice of really bad, or mediocre - whether made here or overseas.
Greg

I had a Crescent wrench in one hand for $18 and a Husky wrench in the other hand for $10. The Husky was better because it was polished. I bought the Crescent simply because it is made in the USA.
Brian Elfert
I have only one bench grinder in my shop, mostly for sharpening lawn mower blades. It's a 3/4HP, costs $28, and made in China. Really cheap, been running for years, and useful. I doubt the USA could make them that cheap.

Probably not. Your neighbors want to make enough to live. The US Gov. won't allow US MFGs to dump PCBs and motor varnishes into the river, require safety measure in the plant, and regulate hours and pay rates.
Mexico and China don't care. They just dump the dead workers bodies into the Rio Grand along with the medical waste, trash, and dead animals.
They also, and most importantly, don't have heards of avaricious lawyers.
Greg
Here is a somewhat fascinating article on manufacturing moving overseas, with a (large) dash of Christmas consumerism. Note the different manufacturing standards and therefore prices between US market and elsewhere.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A14763-2003Nov8.html
Renata

Made?...or assembled?
Have a nice week...
Trent
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

I would if the product was in fact superior, however most are not. Yup, I know I'm adding to the overall problem too.
You pretty much hit the nail on the head (hey, that on topic, right?) with that one. Why else would be produce something that is not intended to last except for greed, and some stimulation to the economy I suppose. However R&D for a lot of companies (not all thank goodness) is almost non existant.
Now that I'm retired I'm seeing lots of sand fleas being brought in for software jobs. Is this because they'll work for less or because they bitch less than we do? Or because they have limited length visas and make what they can, take it home and live like kings? Any way you slice it, we're still digging ourselves deeper and deeper as we depend more and more upon others to provide us with the basics.
BRuce wrote:

Manufacturing in the US has been declining for years and service companies are on the rise. I usually try to buy the best quality. I'd like to see more jobs in the US too.

I'd rather have a good tool that worry about somebody's job. Those folks have to eat to, Brian! :) I love my Powermatic BS.
You can vote with your dollars, but I'll vote for the specific tool for the task, regardless of what country it was made in. Perhaps your "American Made" tools were made in the continental US, but were made by Vietnamese, Mexicans, Japanese, Chinese, Canadians, English, Germans, Italians, and yes, perhaps even a Taiwanese or two?
Find something else to obsess over.
dave