Any tools still made in the USA?

Check those tools...see where the steel and other parts come from.

Are you limiting your boycott to just tools?

Have a nice week...

Trent

Trent©

Depends on the car.

Have a nice week...

Trent

Trent©

If you got 60M miles on a set of rings, you were lucky!

It use ta take 6 hours back then...to get an STP oil change! lol

Have a nice week...

Trent

Trent©

Why in the world would you think that a major war could possibly last long enough today for anyone's production capacity to much enter into the equation? Who are we going to fight with Tanks and major firepower that are big enough to A) keep us from getting resupplied B) cause us to use up our existing weaponry and C) wouldn't rather quickly escalate into a major mushroom event? A major war that would be a slow starter like WWII that would allow time for us to build lots of weapons like we did in WWII is not the least likely. Oceans aren't going to protect us like they did then, enemys big enough to keep us away from existing suppliers aren't going to be incapable of bringing the war to us like in WWII. I don't think war preparedness is a valid argument against free trade - although there are many valid arguments against it ( just as there are many valid arguments for it).

Dave Hall

Reply to
David Hall

And why do you think that is? Do you think that the American car manufacturers did that of their own accord?

Volkswagen started the trend for quality in this country...back in the early 60's. The U.S. car makers HAD to jump on the band wagon...so they finally started makin' economical cars.

International competition is a good thing. And, for the most part in this modern world...its unavoidable.

Many so-called 'foreign' products are built in the U.S...and the reverse is also true.

Is Honda a foreign product? Is Chrysler an American product?

Have a nice week...

Trent

Trent©

Reply to
""Nobody"

Reply to
""Nobody"

Reply to
""Nobody"

Ha, another fellow victim. I was the resident Clipper programmer at a shop in Atlanta. Wrote xBase Clipper code for a service managment application that was multi-user/workstation with nested gets (!) and tons of assembly UDFs. Thousands of hours of work reduced to worthlessness in less than a year. The only advantage at this point is that it will run on all those old 386s lining the landfills. :-|

Greg

Reply to
Dr. Know

I bought a Stanley FatMAX tape rule a couple of days ago and when I got it home, noticed the tiny letters "Made in Indonesia" stamped on the back. Shoulda bought a Lufkin.

Jeeeesss....

Greg

Reply to
Dr. Know

Ahhh, but they speak with the language of CHEAP. No matter that the product falls apart in 6 months.

I DO, however, like to keep my neighbors employed and their homes off the courthouse steps.

Hmmm, I have 3 Fords. But I stay away from mechanics and do the work myself. And yes, their 4R70W transmission had a number of problems. I bought a T-Bird cheap because 3 previous techs failed to properly repair this car. That is 3 trannys in 80,000 miles! I overhauled it myself, upgraded the problem points - so far, no problems. It even chirps second when I get on it... ;-)

I have a '79 Toyota Supra with 360,000 miles and a Peugeot with

510,000 miles. But try finding parts... ;-)

Depends on whether you want to circulate your money back into this economy or build yet another foreign world empire.

Oops... too late...

Greg

Reply to
Dr. Know

It's the American bean counters and Wall Street investors wanting to make a quick profit - something for nothing.

The bubble will burst.

Greg

Reply to
Dr. Know

Exactly.

The Japanese have long contended that we should become an agricultural entity, and do what we do best - consume mass quantities of the world's resources in exchange for all of our wealth.

We are well on our way with 10mpg SUVs and poorly built $250,000 homes that rot into the ground in 15 years.

Greg

Reply to
Dr. Know

Starve? War with neighbors for food and shelter? Live in that new mini-storage warehouse at 90% of their monthly income?

Greg

Reply to
Dr. Know

Same here... Don't laugh - I am using a genuine Heath/Zenith keyboard with real American switches made in the 80s for the US Government military.

I have to modify the BIOS in every new system I build, 'cause it won't work with each progression in speed - even though it 'should'.

You can't BUY that quality anymore. You have the choice of really bad, or mediocre - whether made here or overseas.

Greg

Reply to
Dr. Know

Meanwhile, the Japanese are turning out nice little hybrids that get 50 MPG. I guess Bush thinks it's OK to churn out 10 MPG SUVs because somebody's gotta buy all that Iraqi oil which Halliburton and Bechtel are getting rich on. And once he finishes dismanteling what's left of the EPA, Detroit won't have to worry about those pesky fleet mileage goals anymore, right?

Reply to
Roy Smith

Probably not. Your neighbors want to make enough to live. The US Gov. won't allow US MFGs to dump PCBs and motor varnishes into the river, require safety measure in the plant, and regulate hours and pay rates.

Mexico and China don't care. They just dump the dead workers bodies into the Rio Grand along with the medical waste, trash, and dead animals.

They also, and most importantly, don't have heards of avaricious lawyers.

Greg

Reply to
Dr. Know

Greed rules. Those that HAVE, want MORE. Those that don't HAVE, want to present the illusion that they do, lest they be judged unfit. Those that don't HAVE, never will, unless extremely lucky - hard work and dedication just won't do it anymore.

Bush is a moron - a greed-monger for the HAVES. For those who are still deluded by whatever 'charm' he exudes, hindsight will reveal him for what he is - a fool, brandishing the flag as the weapon instrumental in undermining the security of the nation and it's economy before masses of short-sighted but adoring sheep.

JMHO, Greg

Reply to
Dr. Know

Could it have anything to do with the quality of the paper? I for one get tired of having to read 2-3 paragraphs of the reporters PC-BS before they tell me what happened. News stories are / were suppose to be just that, an unbiased view of an event that took place. There is a place for editorials but not in EVERY story. I am at the point now where I skim down the article until I find the NEWS.

Pops

Reply to
Pops

Absolutely not the American Factory Worker but maybe the engineers who design stuff to planned obsolescence.

You don't spec it to last, it won't last no matter who or where it is built.

Reply to
Pops