Any tools still made in the USA?

As useful an economic theory as any I've ever come across.

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Hi

Here's a spreadsheet I made up of some simple numbers for the choice Dewalt might have had for their cabinet saw line. The "Hi Quality" numbers is the "made in America" choice, the "Low Quality" is the Taiwanesse route.

You can play around with it, but the example below is one possible cost structure..Where Hi Quality cost is only $100 more than Lo Quality...you need a lot more sales (40% more) to make the same profits...If making it in China is very cheap then you don't need a very large % increase in sales to match the Hi quality profit... In fact if the cost to make in China is $650, you still make more money on only a 10 % increase in sales.

Notes: My assumption is that at a lower price you will increase sales. Also, there are many hidden risks that most companies ignore in "off shoring" for the first time..such as currency fluctuations, foriegn government meddling in factory ownership/regulations, labor, shipping, etc.etc....

Sales Numbers Hi Quality Qty 1000 Low Quality Qty 1400 Hi Quality Sale Price 1200 Lo Quality Sale Price 1000

Clost Numbers Hi Quality Cost 850 Lo Quality Cost 750

Hi Quality Lo Quality Net Sales $1,200,000.00 $1,400,000.00 Less Cost $850,000.00 $1,050,000.00 Gross Profit $350,000.00 $350,000.00

Reply to
allen.morgan

Hell, No! SOMEBODY'S got to buy the stuff new so we can buy it used.

I certainly don't want anyone but me buying used equipment. At least not in my area.

The scenario laid out implies:

1) Warehouses sell only equipment and tools, not hardware, wood and other supplies, and

2) There will be enough used equipment available to satisfy need. From my experience at auctions I think this will not be the case.

I don't know, for such thinking I think it would take more than a mild hallucinogenic.

Reply to
Mark

All interesting theories. Personally, I don't think we'll be seing a 19th century model unless civilization collapses completely. I think in the near term (my lifetime) the more likely outcome is that we will develop hydrogen as a practical, safe fuel source. The only reason we're not using fossil fuel alternatives right now is because we're just not motivated to make them work.

Reply to
Silvan

I got mine in '91 I think. It was hella expensive, but worth every penny. Probably the only time I will *ever* say that about a M$ product.

I wouldn't characterize it as being "heavy" though. It's pretty much a featherweight compared to my old keyboard. *That* one still works too, and has all mechanical switches, but I can't use a straight keyboard anymore. My wrists scream bloody murder after about five minutes.

Reply to
Silvan

Man, you got that right. It's amazing how my $75,000 house turned into a $140,000 house overnight.

If I had known that was coming, I would have been a hell of a lot less friendly toward the tax assessor.

Reply to
Silvan

They're not even worth what they're going for used. $5,000 for a freaking car? My $850 special from 14 years ago still runs.

Unfortunately, I'm no longer driving it.

I *am* driving my $3,600 special from 12 years ago though. It's got

99,100-something miles on the odo. Needs to last me two more years. Just two more years.
Reply to
Silvan

Since when is USA self sufficient in oil?

Mike

Reply to
Michael Daly

The USA imports as much energy from us (Canada) as from the middle east.

Self sufficient Uncle Sam ain't...

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

: Funny thing is, the same people who are trying to kill SUV's are : responsible for the rise of the SUV and the death of the station wagon. : Station wagons died because the car mfg's couldn't meet average fleet : mileage standards if they kept station wagons in their product : offerings.

The car mfgs are exploiting a loophole in the law, under which SUVs are classified as farm vehicles, and thus not subject to the safety and mileage regulations cars are under.

How exactly is this the result of "the same people" doing anything?

:However, people still had things they needed to haul that : required more than an econobox.

Unh huh. That explains all the single-rider SUVs we see on Tucson's roads. Hauling a coupla bags of groceries home from Safeway.

The idea that most SUVs are used mostly for hauling heavy loads is a sad little fantasy.

-- Andy Barss

Reply to
Andrew Barss

As soon as we burn up everybody else's oil in our SUVs and then have to be. :)

Reply to
Silvan

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 20:05:25 -0500, Silvan brought forth from the murky depths:

Another problem with hydrogen is that too many companies want to make it from, yup, you guessed it: Natural Gas!

I was shocked in CA when, during the electric crisis, they all wanted to build all these natural gas fired generators. This during the time that there was an EXISTING pipeline crunch (and ongoing investigation) from, you guessed it: Texas.

Who ARE these tanjing idiots?

  • OPERA: A Latin word * Wondrous Website Design
  • meaning * Save your Heirloom Photos
  • "death by music" *
Larry Jaques

Probably elected oficials.

Reply to
Mark

I kinda thought that might throw off a person or two.

I t w a s a j o k e .

Funny. When you start rattling the Buy USA saber, no one mentions oil.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

Politicians... Gotta love'em.

I've been even more cynical than ever since a few years ago when we had a tree planting event. The town mayor graced us with his presence. Got his picture taken sticking a shovel into the ground surrounded by little kids. Then he handed the shovel to one of the little kids and walked away. The newspaper read like our munificent mayor was a veritable tree planting machine, but his hands never actually touched dirt. My heart toward poly-ticks shrunk four sizes that day.

Reply to
Silvan

You'e getting there. As time goes by--could write a song with that title, I bet--your heart towards poly-ticksians will become the size of a grape seed and as hard as granite.

Charlie Self "I hope our wisdom will grow with our power, and teach us, that the less we use our power the greater it will be." Thomas Jefferson

Reply to
Charlie Self

Those "same people" were the ones who pushed so hard for the imposition of mileage standards across all elements of car manufacturers' product lines. The fact there was a loophole provided a means for people to actually get what they wanted (I know, that's a foreign and detestable concept to most statists), thus the growth of the SUV's popularity. Had the CAFE standards not been so draconian, the station wagon would have survived as a viable and popular product offering, the SUV would never have become so popular -- law of unintended consequences.

... and you see each and every use to which those people put those SUV's. The fact they may be hauling a few bags of groceries when you see them doesn't mean they aren't hauling a car load of kids and soccer equipment some other time. Most folks don't buy a car for every task, but pick the one that fits the total of all tasks to which they intend to put it. But then, you knew that.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

I bought it in '97, so it's still the original design. They probably moved production down there sometime in the 90's.

I have too many problems with their software. But for hardware (keyboards, mice, ...) MS has a good reputation.

It's already smaller than that. I wouldn't even use one for a push stick.

Reply to
Silvan