Any tools still made in the USA?

That's my point.

Why are you singling out tools?

Have a nice week...

Trent

Trent©

And a lot of the advertising printing is farmed out...not even printed by the local company. Its more economical to print on a regional level for a national advertiser...and then just truck the ads in to be included in a local paper.

Have a nice week...

Trent

Trent©

B a r r y B u r k e J r . wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Rumor has it that American Airlines pays it's employees from the Cayman Islands to save on payroll taxes.

Rich Andrews

And steel.

Have a nice week...

Trent

Trent©

Made?...or assembled?

Have a nice week...

Trent

Trent©

B a r r y B u r k e J r . wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

No, they are not VW. I predict that the Audi A4's will depreciate in value quite rapidly. To change the water punp or timing belt on their V6, one has to remove the engine. I may have to go with the other german car company but I assure you it won't be a 7 series. The 7 series is outragously expensive to maintain.

Rich Andrews

And then they had a competitor, Mark...FoxPro...who they quickly bought out.

Have a nice week...

Trent

Trent©

But, in reality, yer helping finance their plan to push more manufacturing to Taiwan.

And I think you and most everyone else here is confusing 'made' in America with 'assembled' in America. I'm not sure of the ratio, but I think most of our steel comes from overseas.

Have a nice week...

Trent

Trent©

Take it back...if you feel that strongly about it.

Have a nice week...

Trent

Trent©

I found this interesting, from an article by Robert Reich....

America has been losing manufacturing jobs to China, Latin America and the rest of the developing world. Right? Well, not quite. It turns out that manufacturing jobs have been disappearing all over the world. Economists at Alliance Capital Management in New York took a close look at employment trends in 20 large economies recently, and found that since 1995 more than 22 million factory jobs have disppeared.

In fact, the United States has not even been the biggest loser. Between 1995 and 2002, we lost about 11 percent of our manufacturing jobs. But over the same period, the Japanese lost 16 percent of theirs. And get this: Many developing nations are losing factory jobs. During those same years, Brazil suffered a 20 percent decline.

Here?s the real surprise. China saw a 15 percent drop. China, which is fast becoming the manufacturing capital of the world, has been losing millions of factory jobs.

see the whole thing at:

e-mail, remove 'nojunk' from e-mail address

Reply to
Eric G.

Where have you been for the last few years? They're everywhere. They're called "flared leg jeans" this time around, and I've only seen them available in styles aimed at women, but if you're that much into the hideous things, maybe you don't mind wearing hip huggers.

(Hip huggers are evil. They do absolutely nothing except make even the best-formed ladies look chunky.)

Reply to
Silvan

THere was an article recently (in the WashPost, I think) about all the Beemers at Cosco. According to their study, wealthier people want to pay the low price for stuff they don't really care about, but are willing to spend the extra dough on stuff that's important to them (e.g. cars, fancy gourmet kitchen, etc.).

Personally, I kinda think that's true across the board, though, of course, those with less money have less of a choice to spend the greater sums.

Now, the question that I've had for a while, since I saw that the new X5 version of the DJ20 jointer isn't made here, is as follows: Delta has established a reputation as a pretty good ww machinery maker. So, when you haul your manufacturing op oversees, because it's CHEAPER, the assumption can't help but being that the quality is degraded. Why the heck wouldn't Delta want to do everything possible to maintain their rep, and thus justify somewhat higher prices (i.e. aim at the more exclusive market niche rather than the masses), rather than bowing to the ever prevalent modus operandi of cheap(er) Chinese junk? i.e. if they could maintain their reputation, which has apparently sagged of late, they could justify the higher price and say we got Jet beat on our quality, robustness, etc. While some might say, well, I'm just a home woodworker and don't need the extra robustness, surely there are enough folks out there after the extra quality that they don't have to surrender?

Renata

Reply to
Renata

Pah ! Last year the UK tax office (our IRS) sold all their buildings to a Bermuda-based tax-dodge company. Even the bloody taxman is on the fiddle !

Andy Dingley

Some of us questioned the motives from the beginning.

With manufacturing gone and farming gone, one wonders how will will earn the money needed to buy all these things from overseas.

Reply to
Silvan

You hit that one right on the head... :)

Reply to
Silvan

After September 11th China made a fortune knocking out extremely crappy American flags.

The one I fly was made in the USA, FWIW.

Reply to
Silvan

General makes a 15" bandsaw in North America (Canada) that's well regarded.

They also have a imported line that comes from the far east.

Reply to
brian roth

snipped-for-privacy@myrealbox.com (Renata) wrote in news:3fb1063e.1142073324 @news.newsguy.com:

Maybe the quality will go down short term, but up in the long term.

When I was a kid, my dad told me to never buy a tool that had "Made in Japan" stamped on it. He was right back then, but wrong now.

Ten years ago Chinese products were junk. Today they are not junk, but lower quality. Ten years from now, I would be willing to bet, they will be making high quality stuff.

Don't you think Delta has considered that?

Reply to
Manny Davis
[...]

Already now (and probably since a long time) chinese wooden planes or chinese chisels are high quality, at least the few parts that i hav in my eclectic collection of tools.

Reply to
Juergen Hannappel