Any tools still made in the USA?

Page 5 of 13
B a r r y B u r k e J r . wrote:

They're not even worth what they're going for used. $5,000 for a freaking car? My $850 special from 14 years ago still runs.
Unfortunately, I'm no longer driving it.
I *am* driving my $3,600 special from 12 years ago though. It's got 99,100-something miles on the odo. Needs to last me two more years. Just two more years.
bad monkey!
dave
Unisaw A100 wrote:

As useful an economic theory as any I've ever come across.
djb
--
There are no socks in my email address.

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"

Since when is USA self sufficient in oil?
Mike
In article

The USA imports as much energy from us (Canada) as from the middle east.
Self sufficient Uncle Sam ain't...
djb
--
There are no socks in my email address.

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Michael Daly wrote:

As soon as we burn up everybody else's oil in our SUVs and then have to be. :)
Michael Daly wrote:

I kinda thought that might throw off a person or two.
I t w a s a j o k e .
Funny. When you start rattling the Buy USA saber, no one mentions oil.
UA100
Charlie Self wrote:

Yeah, but Dad's anemic, wheezy POS has a V6 too. When he bought the thing, he looked into some kind of aftermarket ignition kit to make it zippier, but we couldn't find five cubic inches of room under the hood anywhere to install it.
I'm probably going to wind up with a minivan some day myself. Pretty practical for a family man, I must say. Haul your kids and dogs, haul your wood. I borrow Dad's van a lot. (I also spend long hours doing graphics for his business for free, so don't cry for my poor Daddy...)
I'm not going to get one until I reach a point in life where I can pay mechanics to do *all* the maintenance though. At only 30-something, I'm still too damn old to be contorting myself into the hideous positions demanded of mechanics working on those damn things.
: Funny thing is, the same people who are trying to kill SUV's are : responsible for the rise of the SUV and the death of the station wagon. : Station wagons died because the car mfg's couldn't meet average fleet : mileage standards if they kept station wagons in their product : offerings.
The car mfgs are exploiting a loophole in the law, under which SUVs are classified as farm vehicles, and thus not subject to the safety and mileage regulations cars are under.
How exactly is this the result of "the same people" doing anything?
:However, people still had things they needed to haul that : required more than an econobox.
Unh huh. That explains all the single-rider SUVs we see on Tucson's roads. Hauling a coupla bags of groceries home from Safeway.
The idea that most SUVs are used mostly for hauling heavy loads is a sad little fantasy.
    -- Andy Barss
snipped-for-privacy@ptah.u.arizona.edu says...

Those "same people" were the ones who pushed so hard for the imposition of mileage standards across all elements of car manufacturers' product lines. The fact there was a loophole provided a means for people to actually get what they wanted (I know, that's a foreign and detestable concept to most statists), thus the growth of the SUV's popularity. Had the CAFE standards not been so draconian, the station wagon would have survived as a viable and popular product offering, the SUV would never have become so popular -- law of unintended consequences.

... and you see each and every use to which those people put those SUV's. The fact they may be hauling a few bags of groceries when you see them doesn't mean they aren't hauling a car load of kids and soccer equipment some other time. Most folks don't buy a car for every task, but pick the one that fits the total of all tasks to which they intend to put it. But then, you knew that.

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 22:28:37 +0000, mrdancer wrote:

Howdja get 16 people safely in a station wagon?
-Doug

to get

from
like
without an

3 in the front, 3 in the middle, 3 in the back and 4 to push it through the snow.

able
miles
seems
through
As you can tell, math's not my strong suit.

get
from
an
Well, since there was 23 years span among us 14 kids, there usually wasn't more than a half dozen of us that needed to be anywhere off the farm at one time.
Besides, we didn't worry about safety (we grew up on a farm, one of the most dangerous occupations in the world). We didn't really know or care what seatbelts were. In 1978 my Dad got a 'town' truck that we could drive into town. He put a topper on it and hauled a bunch of us in the back of that when we went to town.
Living in muddy hilly river country, we got our first 4wd truck in 1984, although we never had much problem getting around in the snow with 2wd. That's kinda why I laugh at what so many people 'think' they need. They too often confuse want with need.
Btw, I wear my seatbelt religiously these days. I don't even think about it when I put it on - it's pure habit. I just feel naked without it.
Mark & Juanita wrote:

Your the exception.
Maybe it's because you live in the sticks that you don't get to see how many SUVs are sold to people who would think your unimproved road an extreme off road experience.
--
Mark

N.E. Ohio
On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 21:21:56 GMT, Mark & Juanita

You have exactly the right vehicle. I'm not talking about you.
My point was that the "soccer mom" market is driving the SUV designers to make them more and more car-like. Oddly enough, this makes the SUV less usable to people like you, who WANT the truck features. I also own an SUV that goes off-road, as well as an AWD car that stays on the road.
The soccer mom buys an SUV to appear outdoorsy, rugged, non-soccer momish. Why else would someone install "appearance only" bash guards all over the vehicle. The bash guards are right up there with the fake roll bars on the pickups of the 70's and 80's. It's all about apperances to them. Obviously, that's not you.
Barry
[...]

It's because the typical SUV convez the message (especially if equipped with "reinforcement bars" at the front): "I dont't care what happens to the people that i crash my extra heavy car into, as long as my laquer doesn't get scratched" Especially if the SUV's aggessive apearance is heightened by black paint or military background (like a hummer or jeep) it makes people want to fire a bozooka at it.
"Brush Guards" have saved my life, and the lives of a couple of my co-workers by taking the impact of a deer, and, as the upper bar projects outward beyond the lower, pushing the corpse underneath the ambulance rather than allowing it to join me in the seat. I have also entered vehicles where the former operator and the unwanted passenger were virtually indistinguishable bloody parts.
Oh yes - one was a Volkswagen.
Phone: +49 228 73 2447 FAX ... 7869

On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 07:41:05 -0500, "George"

Of course, your ambulance has REAL brush guards not the non-protective bling-bling pop riveted to a typical SUV.
My Jeep has REAL push bars and nerf bars. They attach to the frame and do their job very well.
Barry
Mark & Juanita wrote:

Personally, I can't stand them because most people who drive them are grossly unqualified to handle a vehicle that large and unwieldy. They also tend to bring out the worst in people, and I see people taking foolish, dangerous chances all the time.
In my opinion, formulated by years of driving thousands of miles every week, SUVs are in a class by themselves in terms of the danger they present to themselves, to other SUVs, and to everyone else on the road. They're followed closely by those little asshole generation X hotrods, and then by crotch rockets. Ironically, some of the very safest, most conservative and courteous drivers on the road are piloting Corvettes and Vipers.