Any tools still made in the USA?

Page 3 of 13
Doug Winterburn writes:

Yabbut, don't I recall you being in Aridzona? You have to park IN your swimming pool to form rust on things there, or so I'm told.
Charlie Self
"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things." Sir Winston Churchill
On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 02:28:43 +0000, Charlie Self wrote:

True, but the the '83 spent it's first 10 years in Seattle, and the '87 is a relatively recent import from Ohio.
-Doug
On 12 Nov 2003 02:28:43 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) brought forth from the murky depths:

My '90 just rolled over (000486.3) and gets 18mpg with a rebuilt 4OD trailing a lovely little 302. This thing sure runs better than my '68 Ranch Wagon with the same motor and a 2bbl carb, I tell ya. About 100 horses better and never a studder no matter what temp. I ADORE fuel injection! Good going, Dougie.

Nope. Rusting is not allowed under Arizona waters. It's in the Zonie Bylaws, Charlie. I saw it spelled out clear as day when I lived there back in '72.
---------------------------------------------------------------------- * Scattered Showers My Ass! * Insightful Advertising Copy * --Noah * http://www.diversify.com ----------------------------------------------------------------------
The thread that refuses to die.
--
Mark

N.E. Ohio
Yea, it sucks that some of love America still, doesn't it.

This is what caused some manufacturers to lower, widen, and install independent suspension on SUV's ("New" Explorer, Trail Blazer, etc...), ruining the semi-able off-road performance they actually had. <G> The funny thing is, AWD minivans have been around for a long time, which combines great load space with go in bad weather traction. Unfortunately, they just aren't stylish enough at the soccer field.
This past summer I was picking up an over-sand permit on Cape Cod. I witnessed the world's stupidest argument between a US Parks Service Ranger and a woman with an SUV. The woman was SCREAMING, the ranger was remarkably calm.
Woman: _WHY_ can't I buy a permit?
Ranger: Your vehicle is 2WD.
Woman: But I can see other Grand Cherokee's moving toward the beach
Ranger: They have 4WD
Woman: But _I_ have a Grand Cherokee!
Ranger: Your's is 2WD
Woman: You sold permits to THOSE GC's!
Ranger: They have 4WD
Repeat for almost 30 minutes, with lawsuit threats, etc. Conversation ends when Ranger's supervisor threatens to arrest woman for disturbing the peace. <G>
Barry
B a r r y B u r k e J r . wrote:

LMAO.
Reminds me of something last summer.
During the county fair I park cars at my mothers house. She lives on a one acre lot a couple hundred feet from the fairgrounds main entrance. When it rains the fairgrounds parking lots turn into a mud bath and our business picks up quite a bit. Our yard gets soppy but since we don't have that much traffic it's manageable.
Wife flags in a Blazer, something I told her I didn't want. The lady stops half way back the back yard. Then she tries to go, spins the tires, breaks through he sod and loads the treads. Dumbass. Then she tries going backwards. I'm looking at the beginning of a mud pit. I try coaching her out. Forget it, she's got car tires.
These guys I just parked are walking by and offer to help push this lady out. Seems people going to the fair are looking for adventure. I say sure, they lean on it, lady puts it in gear and spins tires. Shit.
Then I notice there's a 4x4 on the rear quarter. ? not a big 4x4 but a tiny 4x4.
I start yelling for people to stop everything.
I ask this lady if she's got it in four wheel drive.
She says 'yes, it's a 4wd.
I ask again if it's engaged. (I know it isn't)
She takes her hands from the wheel and starts looking around the cabin.
(Jesus)
I look at the hubs, no locks. I look at the hump, don't remember seeing the short lever.
She has no idea how to 'turn it on'. She can't find the button.
(Jesus)
I find the button for her. She presses it. I tell her to lean on the gas, she smacks the throttle, but at least she's out of the rut..
We got a good laugh out of it, except for her because she was still clueless about her cluelessness. You would think if someone's stuck in a 4x4 they would turn it on. Never crossed her mind.
--
Mark

N.E. Ohio
Keep_it_in_the_newsgroup snipped-for-privacy@aol.com says...

nice attempt at condescension. Funny thing is AWD minivans aren't built on a truck body. I live off of an unimproved road -- it gets graded twice a year whether it needs it or not. When we looked to replace our Ford Explorer, we considered a minivan, but after having driven a minivan owned by a friend, we determined that there was no way such a vehicle would hold up for the long haul on our roads. On the other hand, since SUV's are built on a truck chassis, they are more likely to provide long-term service in this kind of environment.
It amazes me the vehemence some people have over what other people choose to drive.

only some suv's are made on a truck chassis. a lot of the newer ones are built on car frames.

Maybe because some vehicles raise insurance rates and fuel prices for everyone?
Growing up with 13 siblings, I'm amazed at how my parents were able to get us around to everything in a station wagon. Our farm was five miles from the highway, subject to South Dakota winters. These days, it seems like most folks can't get their two kids across town on paved streets without an SUV.
SUV = Slow Unwieldy Vehicle :
mrdancer wrote:

East or west river? ;-) My brother & family are south of Reva, 6 miles from their next-door neighbor.
-- Mark

West River. Gregory County - pheasant capital of the world. ;-)
Here's a funny true story. When I was going to college at SDSU, I had a classmate from Minnesota. One day he asked me where the town of West River was. I said 'huh?'. He said that a lot of people he has asked where they are from, reply 'West River'. He'd spent all night looking at a map of South Dakota trying to find the town of 'West River'!
snipped-for-privacy@athotmail.com says...

yeah, right.

Funny thing is, the same people who are trying to kill SUV's are responsible for the rise of the SUV and the death of the station wagon. Station wagons died because the car mfg's couldn't meet average fleet mileage standards if they kept station wagons in their product offerings. However, people still had things they needed to haul that required more than an econobox.

Interesting hypothesis. Problem is that vans used to be a fad and have always been outside the CAFE standards that you cite. They could have bought vans instead of SUVs or station wagons.
The real reason is that SUVs are a fad. Nothing more, nothing less. People buy them, so they make them. Utility, practicality, safety etc have nothing to do with it. Just like pet rocks, frisbees, hula-hoops etc. They will go away when the next fad kicks in. Only those who need them will continue to buy them.
Mike
Mike Daly responds:

And minivans were always a perfect replacement for station wagons with more space, more easily rearranged.
I have trouble imagining what can be hauled in a station wagon that can't be hauled as easily in a minivan: I'm sure there's something, but I jsut can't think of what it might be offhand.

Yeah, well...almost everyone I know with a SUV bought it because it's "cool," which is probably one of the stupidest reasons (and one we all fall for) to buy anything other than an air conditioner.
Charlie Self
"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things." Sir Winston Churchill
Charlie Self wrote:

Ass. My first car was a Ford Custom wagon with a 427, that bad boy would fly.
I think it has less to do with what a vehicle will carry and more what the driver/ owner is willing to carry.
--
Mark

N.E. Ohio
Mark wrote:

Yes, quite. The thing they seem to have in common is that they have absolutely no ass whatsoever. The damn things just won't pull a hill at all. I pass them all the time going up mountains in a tractor-trailer.
I guess part of the problem is that people don't know how to drive them. I can get up hills with Dad's anemic minivan a lot better than most because I know when to punch it. Even so, it'll be doing way below the speed limit by the top. The power to weight ratio just sucks royally.
Silvan responds:

On some. On others, like my SIL's Chrysler with a peppy V6, it just blows up the local mountains (around your area, though admittedly he does spend more time running towards Charlottesville) even with a load of kids and their junk. As with most other vehicles, there are engine options, as there were with station wagons.
Charlie Self "I hope our wisdom will grow with our power, and teach us, that the less we use our power the greater it will be." Thomas Jefferson
Ever so often I like to mull this one over. Not that I particularly care (I don't really (OK I do but I'm jaded)) but it gives me something to do between the trips to the drive-up windows. Anyway, it certainly appears that maybe we don't have a whole lot of say anymore. Like for instance,
Let's say I take my hard earned dollars ('Murican money David) and we take it to Jet/Powermatic/Wilton (JetConGlomCo) or Grizzly and we give it/them to the nice man there. He in turn begins a process of giving the dollars to his company and eventually they (the company) splits off a couple few dollars here to stay in 'Murica (warehouse/office admin/other such peoples based on 'Murican soil) , some goes to the corporate side of things (based where ever in the world, I think its a mobile home in Nebraska) and the rest goes to the country of origin where raw materials are paid for, 'lektricuty is paid for and the children who manufacture the 'chinery get their daily bread.
Seems like a sad trek that the dollars take, eh? Then I got to thinking, what of the dollars we spend directly to a 'Murican company. Well, they keep a larger percentage here as one might expect but most 'Murican companies reside in a GlowBall market and, well, some of those good, hard earned dollars get mixed in with the corporate spit and, well, guess what? Uh-huh, you got it Chester. They've gone and wrapped a couple hunnerts up and sent them off to (insert your favorite emerging third world country here) to help pay for their own operations based in that country.
sigh!
I mean, what's a body to do? Then it hit me like a bolt of lightning. Specifically, my mantra, "Buy Used". Think about it. Here we have a place where we can spend our money and not only does it stay in the good old U.S. of A. but it stays right down here on a local level. What more can/could you/we ask for? Well, let's see. You've given the nice man the money and what does he do with it? Yep, he goes to the Pigg-a-la Wigg-a-lee and he buys Pop Tarts and Tang (Made In 'Murica) for the family breakfast table. On the way home he notices he needs gasoline for the auto-mobile so he stops to top off the tank. We all know that money stays here, I mean, we have the oil reserves to last us well into the ends of our lifetimes. While gassing up he notices he needs new tennis shoes so its off to Kohls (they have the best tennis shoe prices) where he drops $40ish on new shoes. But, but, but, but, doesn't that money go off shore? Why yes it does but only a very small percentage. $5 goes to the country of origin to pay for raw materials and manufacture (to pay the children who make our shoes/clothes). $5 goes to the corporate entity who have masterminded this ekonomik scenario. The rest of the money goes to good and tall 'Murican athletes who then in turn use it to stimulate the national ekonomy buy buying Escalades and tennis bracelets.
A'yup, I wish I had a lead on some used machinery right about now so I could contribute to this little machine.
UA100, who keeps his own stimulus package in his pants...

Good idea in theory. Let's say you spark a good idea and all of us stop buying new today. Only used from the local papers so we keep the money in our community.
Most likely, the local Woodworkers Warehouse stores will close. As will the Woodcraft chain. They people at the Grizzly warehouse will be collecting unemployment, standing in line with the guys from Jet, Delta, and a half dozen importers.
With the scarcity of new tools, a used Craftsman direct drive saw was that sold new for $129 will bring $2900 from the widow Jones who is now living a fancy life selling off the deceased hubby's tools. A Unisaw can be bartered for a cottage on the lake. Security systems will be installed on 8" jointers. Damn, my wife will be tempted to hasten my death as she sees the value of my tools out pacing my 401k by 500%.
Ed