Another reason to not shop at Lowes

Page 4 of 5

Guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder, eh? Just exactly where is it you are from Duane?
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
Mike Marlow wrote:

Far SW KS...and I lied... :) It's actually just a little under 400 to Denver which would be about Syracuse, I guess???

it
I'm quite certain that Denver is substantially larger than Syracuse. It's certainly less economically depressed.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
Mike Marlow wrote:

Of course, as noted, it's 360 mi or so and there's virtually nothing between...La Junta is about same size as here and that's it except for places like Kit Carson and smaller.

It's
I was thinking about your statement about perspective - here rural is a very accurate description of an area 30 miles away from any kind of city. Out by you 30 miles isn't rural, it's just a ranch.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
Mike Marlow wrote:

:)

It may all have to do with the business mentality of the community and those that run that run the stores. With in 7 miles of my house are 3 HD's, 1 Lowe's, 1 old fashioned lumber yard, and 1 old fashioned hardware store that I frequent. Since all have opened the oldest, the lumber yard and the hardware store are thriving and enlarging. The Lowe's has become busier and the 3 HD's have become less busy. Maybe the customers in the SW Houston are a smart enough to see the difference. Don't blame the store, blame the community and customers for what flies.

Back in December I bought a cms saw at an HD. It took 15 minutes to get it: it was at the top of a shelf in the middle of an aisle, so the employees had to clear out the entire aisle and block of the ends before they used a lift to get the saw down.

I had a similar experience this month at HF when I bought my bandsaw... they closed off 2 aisles and used a fork lift and 3 guys... I also noticed that the guy operating the lift (sort of a fancy pallet jack/fork lift thingy) was belted to the lift with what looked like a dead man pin.. I guess it's so if he falls of, the thing shuts off.. All 3 were wearing HF hard hats and lifting belts.. seemed like it was not only safe, but over kill..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 08:42:41 -0800, mac davis

That seems to be the SOP in the local stores here as well.
More likely someone who returned some recently purchased boards. Not the store. Buying any wood, its caveat emptor.
I once purchased 200 bf of birch 8/4, when doing the initial pass on the jointer, WHACK! It turned out to be an old round ball bullet. Replaced the jointer knives, re-tuned the jointer, purchased a metal detector, found two more balls and merrily continued to make shavings.
Dave

If that really was a round ball bullet it was almost assuredly a lead alloy of some kind, i.e. very soft. Did it really do anything to your knives? I can't imagine. There are woods harder than bullet lead.
- - LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net
Just what I was thinking.

the
two

If it was still a ball shape it may not have been as soft as you suspect. In my younger days I case my own wad cutter lead bullets melted down from old wheel weights and reloaded. The bullet would typically mushroom on impact when using a light powder load.
The balls were lead but very hard for some reason. They were still round and showed not deformation as if they were fired at the tree. All I am sure is they nicked the blades up pretty bad.
An old (muzzle loader) gun guy told me they sometimes mixed lead balls with other metals for use in cannons. Maybe this was a cannon grape shot?
Dave

TeamCasa wrote:

There's something you can mix with lead to make it hard. Antimony? Tin? Bismuth? Something like that.

Yes, yes, and yes, in that order. Wheel weights are a pretty hard alloy of lead, but aren't good for muzzleloaders where you _want_ that deformation (to expand to fit the rifling grooves). For that, .22 bullets (recycled, obviously) are nice.
Dave Hinz
Dave Hinz wrote:

Wellll, score one for Silvan. :)
Frankly, this makes me want to shop at Lowes MORE. How could they do more than offer to replace the blade?

Frankly you COULD take them to small claims court for it, and make them pay for the court fees too! That would "URKE" the living shit out of me...!
--
Alex
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com