Another reason to not shop at Lowes

If it was still a ball shape it may not have been as soft as you suspect. In my younger days I case my own wad cutter lead bullets melted down from old wheel weights and reloaded. The bullet would typically mushroom on impact when using a light powder load.

Reply to
Leon

LOL!

Mark & Juanita

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 14:46:54 -0800, "Slowhand"

Reply to
Joe Bleau

Reply to
Brian Elfert

I'd bet that the 2x4 had been bought and returned by someone, the same someone who put the finish nail in it. --dave

Reply to
Dave Jackson

Mike: If they can't get the blade, ask for an in-store credit for an equal amount. Say, $100. And then buy something in a package.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Schmall

Bob, since my blade is fine, I would feel guilty about taking anything from Lowes. I still was able to use the board, so, I really did not suffer any damages. It's just the thought that this sort of thing is done, probably by Lowes vendor.

Mike

So, that explains it. Thanks for letting me know. But, isn't the effect still the same--isn't the movement toward monopoly with one or two retailers having such power over the manufacturer that they can set the price and their profit margins?

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bleau

Joe Bleau wrote: ...

That's certainly true...but their customers are those who are looking for ordinary items at cheap prices, just like those who shop at Wally-World. As long as the mass market is enamored of thinking they're saving a penny over their local independent, the large retailer will thrive. They (the merchandisers) are quite interested in their customers, it's that they have a particular class of customer in which they interested.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

sounds like a non-problem to me... no blade damage and sounds like good customer service, as some companies would have given you another 2x4 after waiting an hour..

No harm, no foul??

Besides, Lowes is on my "great place" this month.. My wife offered to pick up a can of Johnsons wax for me.. looked at wally world, k-mart, HD, OSH, etc., etc. and couldn't find it.. (she found me a can of some strange white "non-skid" wax that I put on a high shelf, in the back)

I walked into Lowes and they had the wax (and more other waxes than I expected) Cool!

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

X wrote: ...

You be kidding!!!! You really think a wholesale mill is going to go through and tack together a minor split in the end of a tubaX? What parallel universe are living in? :)

Most likely it was done by another individual who then returned his excess material after is project was over as another poster has already postulated...it's unlikely it was done even by an over-zealous Lowe's employee....

You're making mountains of molehills here...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Hey Robert,

I'm setting up shop in Gainesville, FL and was wondering where you usually buy your lumber? I'm looking for a good supplier.

Thanks, Tim

Reply to
gator_garage_woodshop

The balls were lead but very hard for some reason. They were still round and showed not deformation as if they were fired at the tree. All I am sure is they nicked the blades up pretty bad.

An old (muzzle loader) gun guy told me they sometimes mixed lead balls with other metals for use in cannons. Maybe this was a cannon grape shot?

Dave

TeamCasa

There's something you can mix with lead to make it hard. Antimony? Tin? Bismuth? Something like that.

Reply to
Silvan

People do make outlandish claims with no basis in fact. I seriously doubt that HD does not care about people getting killed.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Exactly, I live in Houston. Houston has surrounded several small towns. Southwest of Houston is a small city called. Stafford. The only thing that separates them is the city limits line. In Stafford there is a Court's hardware. Court's has been around a long long time and is family owned. Court's is growing steadily and is cheaper than Lowe's and HD and every one there, probably 11 employee's, can point you or advise you correctly every time. HD and Lowe's has only sucked up the hardware stores that were destined to fail. There are at least 4 HD's and Lowe's within 15 minutes of that great hardware store.

Reply to
Leon

Ed, You've never noticed the number over the entrance?

Berlin, CT, has "225". I've been told this is the number of customers who have gone in and not come out.

Stay away from stores with numbers like 10497 over the door!

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

I know a town of 12,000 where both hardware stores closed in the past year. The nearest competitior of any size (little bitty lumber yard) is

12 miles away and the closest hardware store is 40 miles away. No Home Depot or Lowes in town.

Brian Elfert

Reply to
Brian Elfert

Indeed, as CW says, the small hardware store is not *yet* extinct, but it's sure headed that way. I live in a major city (Indianapolis, *in* the city, not out in suburbia) and there is exactly *one* small hardware store (an ACE) within four miles of my house. There used to be another ACE closer, but it went belly-up three years ago; there were several mom-and-pops even closer still, but they've been gone even longer than that.

Doug Miller