Another reason to not shop at Lowes

Bloomington, In has a really fine hardware store - Kleindorfers. They are on the west side of town. When I know what I'm doing, I buy at Lowes. When I don't have a clue, I buy at Kleindorfers. I pay for the experience and advice they are willing to share.

Reply to
Kevin

Unfortunately, by buying at Lowes you're probably hastening the time at which you

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

for sure.. the cost of saving a few hours a day x a few employees is peanuts compared to one law suit..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

Yes, yes, and yes, in that order. Wheel weights are a pretty hard alloy of lead, but aren't good for muzzleloaders where you _want_ that deformation (to expand to fit the rifling grooves). For that, .22 bullets (recycled, obviously) are nice.

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Um, Barry? That's the "address".

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Around The Dallas Area there is Turner Hardware and Elliot's Hardware. Both really great places. I can't take the check book in there unless my wife is holding it!

Grant

Le> >I live in a very small town (2000). If I want anything I have to go to the

Reply to
Grant P. Beagles

Just playing...

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

Just checking...

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Aside from The Big Borgs... there is the Amazon effect.

Reply to
Robatoy

Hear! Hear!

Mom & Pop, brick & mortar made this place.

The biggest, privately owned lumber yard and hardware store took a broadside from Home Despot when they first opened here. Business went down 60%.. but 6 months later business mysteriously recovered and HD had to let people go........ The smaller, local builders figured out that HD wasn't going to float them for a few weeks till their projects were completed. HD must have seen that coming, because this was one of the first down-sized HDs this side of the border. The HD at the next town is twice the size. Their prices are nothing to write home about. The selection is so-so. The staff is mostly part timers. The only thing that *I* go there for.... is the odd Ridgid piece.

FWIW

Reply to
Robatoy

A Lowes finally opened up in my area last week. They have a booth near the center of the store (enclosed in Plexiglass for safety reasons I imagine). The sign on the booth indicates it's the glass cutting station.

Nova

Nova wrote: ...

And the chances of the "associate" standing in the booth having a clue of what he's up to is... ????

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Why is that? Unless they're close to a metro area, seems unlikely there aren't needs...

Problem is the cost of staying in business is just too much for a small community to support, not that they don't have a need.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

I really can't say as no one was buying glass while I was there but it looked like they had a Fletcher glass cutter (

which isn't difficult to operate.

Nova

Wait til they have driven the competition out of business. They always open with a glass-cutting section. They give wonderful service when they first open up. Repost in a year and tell us what you think of Lowes or HD then.

Reply to
Joe Bleau

Although Lowes has recently opened in my area Home Depot has been around for many years. For their intended purpose I have no complaints with their methods of operation.

Nova

Wellll, score one for Silvan. :)

Reply to
Silvan

Well, we've had both around here for years now and the locals are still in business. Maybe you should report back when your fears become realized.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

I agree completely in principle, but it's hard to pay anywhere from 40% to

300% more for the same stuff. It's also hard to drive all the way across town on the other side of umpty scadillion stoplights when Lowe's is only two stoplights away.

When I lived in town, the situation was reversed. Better to spend 40% to

300% more and not have to drive all the way to the outskirts of town through umpty scadillion stoplights.

Maybe the lesson here is that the hardware stores need to move out to the 'burbs and the outskirts and go where the other business is.

Reply to
Silvan