Another (hopefully) helpful tip

When working with power tools (especially sanders) keep a shallow bowl nearby with a bit of water and a sponge. Power tools generate wood dust and, when it gets on the hands, the fingers lose some grip and can actually become slippery. Not a good thing when you're holding something razor sharp turning at 8000 RPM.
So every so often just pat the top of the sponge with both hands to get them moist and rub them together briskly to dry them. You'll have a lot surer grip on the tool after you do.
FoggyTown
foggytown wrote:

of my hands to increase their grip; the tiny bit of moisture and removal of excess wood dust helps prevent slippage.
Dave

No problem with that here on the left coast.. you wife your hands and forehead frequently to avoid sweating all over your tools & wood..
I haven't been in my shop for 3 weeks now.. *sigh* It's been 102 to 108 degrees for the last 23 days and too hot to work.. if there is a breeze, it might cool off to about 70 by 10 pm.. (normal july temps are 97/60-65)
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
mac davis wrote:

daily basis gets old fast. Why am I up now, at 3:25 AM you ask? To get a little shop time in while it is still cool (around 80)
Glen

Wow.. sounds worse that Fresno! I've managed to get in an hour or 2 in the mornings, but as soon as the shop hit 90 or so about 10 am, it's time to quit.. It seems like anything over about 92 - 94 not only gets sweat all over my projects, but I know that I'm not working as safely... time to quit for the day and keep all my body parts! The next shop WILL be air conditioned!!!!!!!!!!
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
<snip>

And some of that Fresno weather has been getting into the normally comfy East Bay Area. The PITA is that I've been working on finishing the bathroom project, and the glass shower door was really more like a kit. I haven't worked that much with aluminum, and so didn't have all the tooling and experience. And I work slowly, when it gets hot. And take a lot of breaks.
But the shower stall is together and water tight as of 4:45 this afternoon. Now out to the shop to finish sanding the face frames and drawer fronts while the evening breeze blows a bit.
I haven't run the lathe in weeks.
Patriarch

Yep.. seems like the whole state is running at least 10 degrees hotter than normal.. my son in Newark actually went to visit his brother in Benicia to cool off...
At least you're getting your project done and can take a cold shower.. *g*
I got about 2 hours in last night... at about midnight... cooled off to under 90 by then... We had so many fans going that we didn't need the DC... which was a good thing, since I never run it after 10 pm.. mostly doing finish turning and sanding on some of the June stuff..
It's probably good that I'm not doing much turning, with the air so hot and dry things would be drying and cracking before I could get them trued.. lol