Helpful Wood Supplier

Had a chance to check out a new (to me) wood supplier in my area. Peach State Lumber Products in Marietta, GA.

The staff was quite friendly and helpful, giving me an impromptu tour of the facilities. They carry a wide variety of exotics, as well as domestics, and the prices are in line or slightly better than other "wholesale/retail" distributors that I have visited in this area.

They must do a pretty brisk business, because everyone was humping while I was there.

Although they have a simple web site, it doesn't do justice to the variety of woods actually available.

Wood Species: Most Standard Domestics including:

Alder Ash Basswood Beech Birch Cedar - Aromatic, Western Red, and Spanish Cherry * Cypress Hickory (Some looked like Pecan) Maple - Hard, Soft, Ambrosia, Curly, and Birdseye. Oak - Red and White Pine - Ponderosa, White, Yellow Poplar Walnut

Exotics included:

African Ebony $$ Bloodwood Bubinga Black Limba Black Palm (although I believe it was actually Singapore Red Palm) Canarywood Cocobola Ipe (a ton of S4S decking/trim as well) Iroko Jatoba Lacewood (Australian) Padauk Purpleheart Peruvian Walnut Honduras Rosewood Sapele Teak Wenge Yellowheart Zebrawood

  • General Observations:

The only real disappointments were the Cherry that is available, not only here, but at other dealers as well. Having recently sliced up a wild Cherry tree, I have become accustomed to the color and grain of extended growth wood. The Cherry available for sale is pathetic in comparison. American Black Walnut also seems to have increasing quantities of sapwood left in as well as gnarly grain.

As always, no relation to, financial interest in, or connection to this particular business.

FWIW,

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G

LOL Yeah, just like the massage parlor down the street.

Did you not mean to use that word or does it mean something else in georgia?

brian

Reply to
brianlanning

Heh, heh...

Probably not the choicest of words to use... In _G_eorgia, as elsewhere in the US, the intended slang definition is:

"To exert oneself."

I won't list the other possible definitions... ;-)

FWIW,

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G

Never been in the military eh? :)

It just means you are doing a really strenuous activity,,

Reply to
Locutus