A funny student story about glue

I like sushi, but I don't like the idea of eating raw seafood in Wisconsin--It has to travel for too long. Whitefish sushi? A local market has cello-wrapped sushi to go. No way.

Reply to
Australopithecus scobis

Fresh sucker sushi - mmmmmmm.....

Reply to
George

I still remember one day when I was hunting across the street with those little .22 C-Bee caps, and shot a squirrel right behind the eye. It rolled the little sucker over, then it got up, shook it's head and ran off. Granted, those aren't very powerful bullets, but it was still awfully impressive. These days, I just like to watch them play in the yard.

Did a lot of trap shooting growing up, so bird hunting is second nature now. They're a whole lot tastier than rats with bushy tails!

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

Reply to
Prometheus

I don't know what the shipping arrangements are, but they have most of the shellfish in live tanks right at the bar. Most of the other stuff is cooked. There are only a couple of raw things as far as I can tell, mainly roe and tuna.

The wrapped sushi is always imitation crabmeat around here. It'll do in a pinch, but it's not very good ice-cold and they don't make the rice correctly (I suspect they're using minute rice or something equally unsuitable.) At any rate, I give them points for trying- and it's a fine way to introduce it to an area where some people consider ketchup to be "too spicy" :)

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

Reply to
Prometheus

Prometheus wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

As a coastal dweller for most of my life, I have learned, through sad experience, that some foods don't travel all that well. I never order seafood more than an hour or so from the coast.

On the other hand, ordering the local specialties has usually been pretty satisfactory. Most cultures adapt pretty well to their surroundings. I will admit that I have never traveled to Asia. However, we have a large and diverse Asian community here in the Bay Area, and their restaraunts are generally pretty saavy about what they serve to a large man of Scandinavian origins. (Usually, the squid is cooked.)

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

I'd agree with you years ago but things have changed. I've seen lobsters in tanks in Maine being held for a couple of weeks before shipping them both down the street and across country. The big guy can store a million pounds. I've also seen fish process right off the boat in New Bedford and in Las Vegas restaurants the next day.

(we make truckloads of insulating shipping containers for the seafood industry every day)

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I too had been a costal dweller most of my life. I eat only fresh saltwater fish. We now live in the middle of the USA. You can almost be certain to find many varieties of "fresh" (packed in ice) saltwater fish in any reasonable size metropolitan "Chinatown." You can tell if a saltwater fish was frozen, packing in ice or caught within the last 24 hrs. by looking at the fish grills, eyes and slightly pressing the body.

Reply to
WD

Aye. Recent object lesson:

My missus has always said she didn't like salmon. She'll eat virtually any other kinda fish, but not the pink-fleshed beauty. I just figured it was because she was born & raised in Nebraska, and her fish-eating experience growing up was pretty limited.

Well, a while back I bought some portioned frozen salmon steaks, and finally needled her into trying one; I had had one myself beforehand and they were outstanding. She was equally impressed, both w/ the fish and how much she liked it.

Come to find out that her aversion was due to salmon loaf she was fed as a kid - canned salmon. Bleah. I won't touch the stuff unless it's fried up as salmon cakes, or put in chowder or something. I said, "It never occurred to you that fresh-frozen salmon steak might taste just a *wee* bit different than canned? Sheesh."

Jason

Reply to
Jason Quick

I am about the same way with salmon. Keep trying to cook it myself and it comes out dry as a bone. Thought I was overcooking, try again various different ways, same story.

Then had some "grilled salmon" at a gig the other night and damned it wasn't the best fish I've ever eaten, moist and tasty as hell.

Just how did they do that?

Reply to
Swingman

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in news:Bzaee.14612$c86.10007@trndny09:

I agree the technology is there. I'm not so certain the food establishments are up to the 'translation'. There are few technical barriers to good Carolina-style barbeque, and yet, unless you bring the country boy as cook, what you get is something 'different'.

Las Vegas doesn't count. It sits inside a serious reality distortion field. ;-)

And yes, any generalization is just that. The Chinatown neighborhood often has the freshest and most diverse selection of fresh items.

So Ed, is it time to fire up the grill at your place yet?

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

If you want to discuss this off-line, give me a yell. Baking salmon is dicey and frequently comes out dry, so you probably aren't to blame for that. If you have a grill or are willing to use the broiler, 10 min per inch is MORE than enough. I'd be tempted to go way less than that, much like tuna. Foil wrapping and butter inside with lemon also help.

Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
Dave in Fairfax

Well, since we're already seriously OT, I'll go another step. SWMBO was the same way about corned beef until I cooked one @ home and got her to try it. She had never had any *real* corned beef, just the canned institutional variety. We have it fairly frequently now.

Reply to
Norman D. Crow

That can be a problem. A few stores will keep the good product in the back walk-in until the half rotted stuff finally sells. At that point, the good stuff no longer is.

I've been keeping some of the oak, maple, cherry scraps for just that reason. I've been doing some grilling, but I've not done a long cooking brisket or pork butt on the smoker yet. Very soon though.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Go here for a good salmon recipe

Edwin Pawlowski

You're better off eating sushi that's been flash frozen and shipped long distances. 'Fresh' sushi in Japan is often contaminated with parasite eggs that will be destroyed if the fish is frozen for shipping.

Reply to
Fenrir Enterprises

"Swingman" wrote in news:u42dnWZKedU81-TfRVn- snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

SWMBO's recipe amounts to rubbing some mesquite spice on a couple of salmon steaks, searing them in a hot pan (couple of minutes or so on each side), then adding a bit of water, cooking sherry, and covering -- to sort of steam and poach at the same time. Falls off the bone flaky, and doesn't turn out dry.

Regards, JT (salmon lover ...)

Reply to
John Thomas

Was on a crew with five who loved to fish for a couple of years. We'd fly the night, land at 0430, and be on the big lake by 0630. We were trolling for salmon there, rather than walleye or pike in inland lakes. My wife refused to prepare the fish, even when it was presented as clean fillets.

One afternoon we were at the gunner's house helping build a table when his wife served salmon for dinner. SWMBO praised the food, and when the gunner's wife asked if we didn't have salmon through the season, she was astonished to learn that the fish I had been giving to my crew all season - because she wouldn't prepare it - were salmon, just like the ones in the can.

Reply to
George

After all, it takes three days for guests/fish to stink....

Reply to
George

Cook salmon on a board: Buy a cedar fence board. (Non-treated would be a good idea) ;-) Plane or sand one side (Possible new tool) Cut to length to fit on your BBQ (Possible other new tool) ;-) Soak board in water for about an hour Spray board with PAM or rub with oil Lay salmon or other fish on board, brush with butter and sprinkle with Old Bay seasoning. Cook covered on BBQ Yummy

Bob Meyer

Reply to
Bob Meyer

I'd replace the Old Bay with lemon zest and fresh cracked black pepper, but otherwise it sounds good.

Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
Dave in Fairfax