2 Bench Shop Model

Page 4 of 4
Lew Hodgett wrote:

"wraparound" design because it was easier to keep the lens clean than the bulbs. Everyones MMV.
I've spent the last 4 hours studying fluorescent lighting, culminating with running the ("free") Visual Basic program from Lithonia. Somehow they seem like THE company in the lighting fixture business.
When I first added my lights in my model, I thought I was overdoing it, now not so much! ; )
http://web.newsguy.com/MySite /
Do the fixtures have to be at least 36" from the front of the electrical panel to satisfy the workspace requirements?
Thanks, Bill

You can dust bulbs from the floor with a duster. You have to climb onto a ladder and hang over obstacles to get to lenses, even if they didn't suck light from the room.

They do a lot of business. They're in business to sell LOTS of lighting fixtures, too, so caveat emptor.

3' spacing? Got sunglasses?

I think the NEC wants enough room to work in front of the panels, not necessarily above it. But what an inspector thinks is more important. Ask yours, since he'll be signing it off. I can't imagine why anyone would put a fixture that close to the wall, though.
-- Most people assume the fights are going to be the left versus the right, but it always is the reasonable versus the jerks. -- Jimmy Wales

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId051&productId0427375&langId=-1&catalogId053&PID523498&ci_sku0427375&ci_src043468&cm_mmc=CJ-_-3523498-_-10368321&AID368321&cj=true&locStoreNum 19&marketID'6 Oh, that just takes a standard 4 foot T8 tube. My local HD has them in a variety of colors--if you don't see them on the shelf then scream bloody Hell at the manager.

Home Depot? Whatever you do, do NOT buy anything from a brand called Lights of America. It's worse than trash in every experience I've had with them for myself, my family, and my friends. Trash 12/Quality 0 so far.
What do you mean by "wrap around"? Frosted covers? I'd suggest bare lamps since the frosted covers take away too much of the light.
On second thought, you might like the style with the grates on the front if you're considering hitting them all the time with your project pieces. ;)
-- Most people assume the fights are going to be the left versus the right, but it always is the reasonable versus the jerks. -- Jimmy Wales
On 10/26/10 6:01 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

I'll second that.
--

-MIKE-

-MIKE- wrote:

I think that's about the only brand of fluorescent lighting they sell at Mennards. That's why I visited Home Depot! : )
Here's the point of view I've acquired about my BORGS:
Mennards--priced best. Home Depot -- 10% higher Lowes --20% higher.
The Home Depot people seem to try the hardest. But the Home Depot drywall knives were crappy even at $10.49 ("insta-rust"). I like the ones I got from Lowes. One thing I like about my location is I can visit all 3 stores in about an hour. One thing I don't like about it is that I don't have weather like Lew has.
Bill

Menard's is a more-depressing place to shop that Walmart. And filthy -- even for a hardware store-cum-lumberyard.
Steve wrote:

What makes you say that? I might agree that it is less color-coordinated or thematic than the other 2 stores I named.
And filthy --

I don't remember seeing anything there that made me feel that way. What did you see that upset you?
My criticism of the store would be that some of the salespeople know what they are talking about and some of the rest of them fake it--and sometimes you don't find out until you get home which sort "helped" you.
Bill

Perhaps you're shopping at a better class of Menard's store -- my most recent expereince was W 38 & I-465... When I first moved to Indy 35 years ago*, I lived just a couple blocks from there. Guess you could say the area has declined somewhat.
*Damn! where does the time go?
Steve wrote:

The Menards I usually go to is in Greenwood. It's only a mile or two from there to Home Depot and Meijers, so they are probably reminded that they have competition. I've just been in that part of town for a year and a half; 12 years in IN.
Bill
How much actual space between table saw and the bench ???
Remember, long pieces require the same space coming and going.
If those panels on the floor are 4' in width, you have just over 8' to start any sort of rip operation. Outfeed area always surprises people in their design. Imagine ripping an entire sheet of plywood and how much space that takes.
On 10/25/2010 1:20 AM, Bill wrote:

On 10/25/2010 11:08 AM, Pat Barber wrote:

Yes, my thought there is that I will be able to push the saw forward towards the garage door as much as I need to. Although I will make a few cabinets, I'm not building a cabinet shop and I anticipate that the number of full sheets that I need to rip will be quite modest. In fact, I may find it easier to halve sheets with my circular saw. I'm looking forward to (learning to do) the M-T work on these benches, work with my router, etc. I don't think I have enough space to build very many big items! :) Maybe somebody will ask me to build something for them someday? I have made a few things, but I have never made a drawer before. Building the benches ought to keep me off the streets for a while... I may start with a small one for my bench grinder.
Bill

You really don't need a second bench just for a machinist's vice. Just take a board the same depth as the jaws on your wood vice, screw & glue a second board perpendicular to the first, and mount your metalworking vice to the second (i.e., horizontal) board. Don't need to use the metal vice? Unclamp it and stow it away.
Now, perhaps you're using the "need" for this extra vice to justify a second workbench to someone (does your wife pay the bills?), in which case, never mind.
Steve wrote:

I don't think you grasp the degree of abuse that my metalworking vise is likely to incur. -MIKE- relies on the tranquility of sunshine, I rely on the tranquility of sunshine and a hammer! : ) Screw and glue a second board perpendicular to the first, ha! ; )
Bill
On 10/25/10 7:51 PM, Bill wrote:

haha. I, too, know what a good sledge hammer or splitting wedge can do for the soul. I'm one of those guys who actually loves spitting logs into firewood. Good for my soul, not so good for my back.
--

-MIKE-