Wallpapering Problem

I`ve just finished wallpapering a room with lining paper and washable paper , using Solvite as the paste and am now having problems with edges of the paper lifting , especially a day or two later around the door frame and dado rail.

It was that bad that in order to attempt to prove what was wrong I changed the paste and used LAP paste for the final couple of the walls and this was better.

Has Solvite changed their formula in recent times?

I have been a D-I-Y decorator for years (so have papered lots of walls ) , have always used Solvite (ever since the impressive advert where they wallpapered a plane !) and have never had any problems before.

Any comments welcome

Reply to
regworts

Could it just be technique related i.e. not sizing, ensuring adhesive is brushed right to the edge and/or not rolling the seams fully?

I've used all sorts of adhesive over the years - branded and unbranded

- and never really noticed any difference between them nor suffered any problems.

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton

I`m using the same methods I`ve always used. Size the wall (with paste ) and leave to dry , brush paste well onto paper (not rollered,)... leave to soak , hang , brush then lightly roller edges after 10 minutes.

.
Reply to
regworts

Sounds like the wall may have been exceptionally porous

Reply to
stuart noble

Curious how everyone has there own method. I paste the paper and then the section of wall it's going on. Then smooth it into place using a wallpaper brush and running my finger down the seam only if it needs it. Never failed me in 50 years. The only thing I do that most people seem not to, is to treat the upper horizontal surface of window apertures as ceiling, i.e. paint it like the ceiling rather than trying to work the paper around the inside corners, makes life so much easier (works well where an RSJ runs across the room too).

Reply to
Tinkerer

Hmm. I size all the walls, and then without waiting go back to the beginning and do the papering, so the size has had time to soak in, but isn't dry. I paste a length of paper, paste the wall it's to go on, while pasting the wall the paper is soaking. Then hang the paper, brushing down with a paper brush, peeling and nudging to get alignment. Repeat until done.

I then give everything 24hrs to dry before attempting painting.

If using lining paper, I start the first strip of top paper as soon as I've finished the last strip of lining paper.

Oh, and turn off the radiators!

JGH

Reply to
jgharston