Wallpapering Q

Wallpapering - easy peazy, done that loads of times.

However, this time the underlying walls are a bit of mess. Most (but no all) of the paint on the plaster came off with the previous paper, and the plaster type varies too, mostly pink carlite, a few patches of dark grey thistle and some white one coat stuff. Previous paper was painted blown vinyl, so no issues with underlying background showing trough. Going up this time is a very light coloured printed paper - what's the chance of the patchy background showing through if I don't give it a coat of paint?

(Its not the time to paint that's the problem, its that paint over glue residue is a hideous mess and I like to give the walls a good clean first if painting, but that is hard work!)

Reply to
Steven Briggs

What about lining paper?

Don't know if sugar soap would be any use? But trying a bit wouldn't hurt.

Reply to
Mogga

Heavy duty lining paper. Definitely. Also if you were painting.

Reply to
newshound

In message , newshound writes

Thanks, never thought of lining paper. Double the work of course!

Reply to
Steven Briggs

But consider the effort of scraping the walls clean!

Reply to
mogga

And this place has a good range of lining papers

mogga

If it were me, depending on the size of the room, i would get a plasterer in to skim it. The house we bought had such bad plaster (only the surface though from some fool removing the old wall paper with what looks to be a shovel!!) we have just had each room skimmed as required. I had my front bedroom done a few weeks back, ceiling included, for £250. now i can just paint it.

Reply to
Chris Lewis

In message , mogga writes

Indeed. BTDTGTS. Also very messy job, and while the carpet is up, the underlay in still in place (lots of staples). Anyway, put up heavy lining paper this afternoon, although attempts to convince the powers that be that the plain beige finish was very relaxing, didn't work ;-)

Reply to
Steven Briggs

Women usually like that colour. I can think of 2 or 3 that even tried to match the colour using posh paper.

Reply to
Stuart Noble