Double-glazed front door

My new house has a double-glazed front door flanked with 50cm-wide panels (double-glazed top, uUPVC panel bottom) on each side.

The side-panel next to the lock seems loose (there is movement when the door shuts).

Investigating, the concrete under the door frame on that side seems to have partly disintegrated. And where the side-panel joins the wall, there is a

2cm gap filled with expanding foam. I can only see one screw between frame and wall, and it seems loose (lateral movement).

What's the best way of dealing with this? And preferably without taking the glass and solid panels out (as it's now clear how they come out, or go back in).

I was thinking of replacing the loose stuff under the frame with repair cement, and perhaps replacing the expanded foam on the side with mortar (or even wood; but forcing a tight fit might distort the frame if those screws are loose along their length too).

(And yes there was a guarantee with the door, but the small print (there's a piece of paper needed that I don't have), and the admin charge needed to transfer it, and the probability of being charged for a call out if they deem the problem to be not covered, means it might not be worthwhile chasing it.)

Reply to
BartC

Polyurethane woodworking glue. Take the plug out, wash the hole out with a water pistol, dip the plug in glue and shove it in the hole. Insert screw and have a cup of tea while it foams up and sets.

I wouldn't replace the foam with cement, it'll just crumble. Once you've stabilised the frame with the screws, refoam it.

Reply to
Skipweasel

I managed to remove the lower solid half of the side panel (made a bit of a mess of the beading though).

There is a single 4" masonry screw going straight into break, a bit loose (only 1" of it is in the brick). Nothing on the lower part of the frame.

Thought I'd add a few more of these, along the bottom, and on the side I have access to; perhaps staggered to make it more rigid, and maybe try a few bits of wood for extra rigidity. And then maybe refoam it. But I want stop it bowing outwards first.

(I've never liked uPVC frames much, they never seem to have the strength of solid wood.)

Reply to
BartC