VW. Some news at last!

They will be slower and less economical.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yes, we do know that. If there wasn't some performance hit from meeting the regulations without cheating, they wouldn't have cheated would they?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

But what they don't say is what effect the 'fix' will have on performance and economy, etc.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

but increasing EGR to reduce the NOx increases particulates due to incomplete combustion. As Adrian pointed out, the DPF will catch that, but it will need more frequent regen.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

They just said 'may need new injectors and catalytic converter'...

It does make you wonder how many people will bother to get their cars changed. Could be a big saving to VW.

Reply to
Michael Chare

In the US, it could be they have no option. Since the reason for the tests there is to control emissions. So if they don't accept the mods could be prosecuted.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That's almost certainly a peak amount bandied around by the vested interests for effect

the running average could be as little as 1.5 times the allowed

tim

Reply to
tim.....

That's hardly surprising when they contain such nuggets as:

"wash your car after every rainfall"

I kid you not

tim

Reply to
tim.....

I doubt that you could claim any compensation for failure to meet the "book" NO2 value

you could if they forced you to have a modification to meet that requirement and that resulted in a serious loss of performance.

tim

Reply to
tim.....

I doubt anyone knows - Yet!

tim

Reply to
tim.....

why

if they are made more "emissions efficient" logic sys that will be because they burn the fuel more efficiently and thus get a better miles per gallon

This bit I agree with

tim

Reply to
tim.....

tim.....

As I understand it, burning fuel efficiently usually means at higher temperature. The higher the temperature, the higher the NOX.

To reduce NOX, combustion temperatures need to be reduced, with an associated loss of efficiency.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

AIUI the VW TDIs can already do multiple injections per stroke.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Perhaps.

WGAF what it does on the road, compared to what it does on a (non cheated) test, if there's a big difference it's the test's fault.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Everybody knows that mpg, etc. vary with driver, BUT, the emissions of NOX are a limit which they should not exceed whatever the driver does.

Reply to
dennis

How much zeolite would you need to reduce the N2 levels to give a significant reduction of NOX?

Reply to
dennis

They won't poison as many asthma suffers.

Reply to
dennis

No perhaps about that.

We're discussing the discrepancy between the real world and the cheat test.

Reply to
Hanny Z

And now they've told the US that some (read in the 100s of 1000s) can't be fixed with software and will need a second tank for urea and a replacement cat.