Travis Perkins & Toolstation

Did anyone know that TP owned 30% of Toolstation?

The Medway Handyman

John Stumbles

They also own Wickes.

Reply to
Mike

Reply to
Bruce

It is a common business model to own or control a slice though a complete market segment eg kingfisher own/have interest in

B&Q, Trade depot, Screwfix (trade counters and mail order) and castorama in France.

One product sector but addressing most of the customer types and selling methods. They flog the same stuff through several outlets at different prices that the customers will stand.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

I know all that. Bob. I just didn't realise that Travis Perkins owned Wickes, that's all.

I wasn't questioning the business model - it's the same one via which KwikFit is owned by Ford, and very common elsewhere in commerce.

Reply to
Bruce

IIRC, bought from that other totally-lost-the-plot-and-unfocussed company - Focus. Last time I was in there it looked like they had almost stopped doing kitchen units but were ready to pile up cheap, garbage furniture. Never find the product, the staff, a manned till, anything. And recently out local one has been marooned by roadworks - if it were to close before this post is posted, I wouldn't be at all surprised. But I am actually glad that Wickes is separate - I would not like to lose them.

Reply to
Rod

Agreed. Focus lost their, er, focus some time back. Very occasionally they had some spectacular bargains, probably because someone had made a mistake with the price, but mostly mediocre quality at mediocre prices.

Wickes works well. Their sheds are basic but you know what they sell and their prices are generally competitive. They had a bad setback a few years ago when (if I recall correctly) the management had been over-inflating the sales figures and profits to earn greater bonuses. perhaps that was when they were bought out by Focus? Had Focus already bought Do It All from WHSmith/Boots at that point?

Travis Perkins should offer a safer pair of hands.

None of this really matters, as long as we know who to avoid - B&Q and Focus are at the bottom of my lists for buying DIY materials and tools.

Reply to
Bruce

Homobase are worse, thieving gits.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I've not Googled but think that Tom Farmer bought the business back from Ford.

Reply to
Clot

I wish that you could be more explicit and frank with your comments. ;)

Reply to
Clot

Sorry, just my shy reserved nature...

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Well, you're right in that Ford no longer owns Kwik-Fit, but I cannot find any reference to Tom Farmer still being involved.

Ford bought Kwik-Fit from Tom Farmer for £1 billion in 1999.

Ford sold Kwik-Fit to CVC Capital Partners in 2002 for £330 million.

CVC Capital Partners sold Kwik-Fit to Speedy 1 Ltd, a company controlled by PAI Partners, for £800 million in 2005.

Quite a roller coaster ride! £1,000 million, down to £330 million, up to £800 million ...

CVC Capital Partners also owned Halfords, buying from Boots in 2002. They floated it on the stock market in 2004, while (I think) still retaining a stake.

CVC Capital Partners also own Debenhams, Samsonite (luggage), the Belgian and Danish postal services, the AA (since 2004, with Permira), and Saga.

Reply to
Bruce