Toolstation Reading

Does anyone else in RG-land know about/use this? I'm always gobsmacked (a) that it's always empty when I go in (I've never met another customer in there even when round the corner at Screwfix they're queuing round the block), (b) that they haven't spent tuppence on promoting the place (except for a vinyl banner on the building).

Much as I like having a staff:customer ratio >1 and practically getting the red carpet rolled out when I go in, I'm worried they'll close it down as unprofitable.

At the risk of getting jumped on from a great height by geoff (our resident spam sniffer dog :-)) I'll mention it's left and left again as you go down Scours lane (whereas you go right and right again down there for Screwfix).

Reply to
John Stumbles

Last week I went to Screwfix in Glasgow for something and as they didn't have it I went round the corner to Toolstation in the next street ( a place I'd not been to before )..The two assistants were standing ouside smoking and I was the only customer whereas any time I have been to Screwfix it has been reasoably busy .Only reason i knew about Toolstation was that they sent me ( as an existing online customer) a catalogue recently .

Reply to
NOSPAMnet

I was toolstations best customer in Tipton (a few grand over a 6 week period) until I twisted my knee. Now they just ask where I have been when I limp in for a few bits. Free coffee though.

They must have upset screwfix as they have now opened another trade counter in West Brom. So now its Screwfix in Dudley, 1.5 miles to Toolstation, another two miles to Screwfix if they are all out of stock I use something else.

Reply to
dennis

In article , snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes

That's my experience too, I can't see them being able to sustain that level of emptiness for long. The range isn't as good at SF but at least they don't give you the 3rd degree when you just want to be an untracked, unspammed cash customer.

For paint, try the Leyland Trade centre opposite (not the dulux trade centre next door), they're knowledgeable, helpful and reasonably priced.

Reply to
fred

Curiously the Gateshead Toolstation is only a stones throw from the Gateshead Screwfix.

Still a 70 odd mile round trip though. When is either going to open up in Carlisle? Only a 50 mile round trip then but we do go that way occasionally for other things. There is a huge gap on the map from both of them that side of the country.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

As a matter of interest do any of the Screwfix shops (other than the one in Cambridge) operate a wheel clamping policy in their car park if they have one?

I got clamped a couple of years back outside business hours and although the sinage was correct it was hidden amongst the Screwfix signs which made it hard to see in the dark.

I haven't been back or bought anything from SF since.

Andy Barron

In Brentford the two are yards from one another on the same small industrial estate. Seems very odd for TS to choose to go into direct competition with their better known rival

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Another one...

Isn't there some "history" between the orgins of Toolstation and ScrewFix when the latter became part of Kingfisher Group?

If Toolstations prices are comparable to Screwfix I think I'd prefer to support the private UK company rather than a multinational.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Won't happen in Scotland ,of course.:-)

Reply to
NOSPAMnet

SF was a family business, once sold to Kingfisher, the same people set up TS.

Reply to
JoeJoe

In message , John Stumbles writes

I don't know what you mean !

Reply to
geoff

AFAIK the bloke what started SF sold it to Kingfisher and the contract said he couldn't start a similar business for 5 years. 5 Years later TS started. There is some connection between Toolstation & Silverline tools, but I don't know what it is.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Staff in Rdg Toolstation siad the company was part of Travis Perkins.

Reply to
John Stumbles

Then you'd have a good case for getting back any money you paid to have it unclamped. In a test case (Vine v. Waltham Forest) where a driver got clamped and the court decided that they genuinely hadn't *seen* the signs (not just hadn't bothered to read them) they hadn't therefore entered into a contract with the car-park owners who were therefore not entitled to clamp, and charge a fee for un-clamping, her car.

John Stumbles

I'm 'registered' with Screwfix and don't get any spam from them at all. The occasional catalogue through the post, though.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Nor me but if I give them my Customer Number or details when I go in to the branch my purchases are put on to my on-line account so that is useful .

Reply to
NOSPAMnet

In article , snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes

It is the insistence of logging every sale that I don't like, I'd like a choice.

Reply to
fred

It's common practice with most of these sort of places. I don't mind that with a reputable good value company - such information can help keep their prices low.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In article , Dave Plowman (News) writes

I'm surprised by that reaction, a) Kingfisher group is not a reputable organisation, b) data mining is a high price to pay for a few pennies off the top line.

Reply to
fred

I like that as well. I might want to buy something I last ordered 6 months ago & its dead easy to check out 'all your purchases' online & find the right size etc.

I'm signed up for their e-mail newsletter as well, some useful bargains come to light.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman