Toolstation

Looks like Toolstation is trying to lose the small customers. Only selling Fluorescent tubes in 10s and lots of plumbing fittings in 25s. Bit shortsighted IMO as many tradesmen don't have the storage for vast quantities of stock. By the way, their low cost shower pull switch is rubbish, the mechanism jams even after I've removed the burrs and lubricated it.

Reply to
Capitol

Then again TS and SF only list copper tube in bundles of 10, but they're happy to split a pack if asked (ok you pay a premium).

Reply to
Andy Burns

From what I've seen in Toolstatan trade outlets many tradesmen don't buy _anything_ in bulk.

Reply to
alan_m

In article , Capitol writes

Toolstation is Buyer driven, always looking to drive down costs. The result is that you do have to watch the quality, sometimes it's ok and other times it is the worst possible shit.

When I pointed out to them that the allegedly CW1108 telephone cable they were selling was actually CCS (Copper Coated Steel), not the pure copper that the spec requires, they stopped selling copper telephone cable altogether and now only sell CCS or CCA (Copper Coated Aluminium).

Looks like the cost of scrapping what I suspect was a large quantity of mis-ordered CCS was too much for them to admit/bear.[1]

[1] Ok it's an old story but I can't resist re-telling it . . . .
Reply to
fred

You never want a low cost shower switch - it's one electrical accessory which really needs to be high quality, and very well connected up.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

It's not been used for a shower, purely to switch a 3KVA 110V transformer on. I needed the mechanism not the carrying current rating.

Reply to
Capitol

I think SF actually advertise the fact that you can buy a single length of pipe in branch. It's just if you have it delivered that you have to buy a bundle.

Reply to
Roger Mills

The MK one on SF has had poor reviews recently. I have 2 (one fitted next door) that are several years old and, so far, they've been OK. Seems that even 'good' makes are in free fall. Was there a mention some time ago about MK making crappier stuff to meet the prices of the sheds?

Reply to
PeterC

There was indeed; B&Q, specifically. I was just going to mention that!

Reply to
Bob Eager

Right - couldn't possibly be a coincidence, could it ;-)

Reply to
PeterC

Actually, Toolstation do sell fluorescent bulbs and copper pipe in singles. These are only available to purchase in store and therefore are not listed online. They are however on the very back page of EVERY catalogue.

Reply to
Liz1981

/ Liz1981

-show quotedtext -Actually, Toolstation do sell fluorescent bulbs and copper pipe in singles. These are only available to purchase in store and therefore are not listed online. They are however on the very back page of EVERY catalogue./q

Thanks "Liz", noted.

Which branch do you work at then? ;-)

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

Thanks for the correction. However, they should be on the website with a comment as available in store. The catalogue print is so small that most people can't read it without a magnifying glass and use the website instead. Also, the air hoses are a mixture of 1/4 bsp and 1/2 bsp. Connecting them up is a nightmare as a 1/2bsp female to 1/4 bsp male/female connector is not listed. I've just had to buy 1/2bsp taps to cut new threads into the connectors.

Reply to
Capitol

mmm I just picked up a toolstation catalogue lying about and I don;t see them on the very (or nearly) last page at all....???

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

I think in the paper catalogue it says something like 'available as single instore' on the relvant pages.

However on the big instore catalogues they do IIRC have them listed separately at the front, at least they did with pipework

Reply to
Chris French

Bought their white unbranded sockets the other day, but quality not accepta ble. Plug pin holes so stiff a good wacking was needed just to get one in. I do wish they'd stop selling stuff so bad its unusable, in other respects they're one of the better suppliers.

NT

Reply to
meow2222