toolstation

Hose clips generically known as jubilee clips are useful for all kinds of things. I've bought loads in the past from Toolstation. This time round I needed some more 30mm ish to

40mm ish clips to match the two I had left.

THis is the relevant Toolstation page.

Code Product For delivery Pack Size Price Quantity 82479 Hose Clip 10-16mm (000) 50+ Available 10 Pack ?1.83 ?1.52 ex. 83802 Hose Clip 12-19mm (00) 50+ Available 10 Pack ?1.97 ?1.64 ex. 85199 Hose Clip 19-29mm (0) 50+ Available 10 Pack ?2.27 ?1.89 ex. 61289 Hose Clip 22-32mm (1A) 5 Available 10 Pack ?2.91 ?2.42 ex. 69339 Hose Clip 40-60mm (2-2X) 50+ Available 10 Pack ?2.98 ?2.48 ex. 21059 Hose Clip 50-70mm (3) 50+ Available 10 Pack ?3.22 ?2.68 ex.

Now I can't really work out why all of a sudden they've decided not to stock anything between 32mm and 60mm maximum diameter* and I'm not minded to go down there and discuss it with whoever is behind the counter.

Presumably they simply stop stocking those sizes for which there is least demand

A similar thing has happened with router cutters in the past. Having bought a particulat size bearing cutter from them in the past and going by the rather loose catalogue description I attempted to buy another one only to be presented with something entirely different. Thus turning into the kind of numpty who wastes everyone's time by turning up at the counter and not knowing what they're supposed to be buying.

michael adams

  • It goes without saying of course that there are plenty available in B vomit Q and Wickes at 5 times the price.

michael adams

As if they'd know. ;-)

Provided one which can do the job is avaialable, cut off any spare if it offends you?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

They also work in series!!

Not sure about parallel, we had a work dictat to use twin clips after a spectacular blow off. Not too sure that it was a valid engineering solution though, you would have to assume that there was an equal sharing of pressure across the two clips. ie a "contolled leak past the first that was stopped at a reduced pressure by the second clip. as there is no "flow" in a valid connection, I suspect the mechanical engineering was flawed

I always thought mechanical and chemical Engineers needed a few Volts up em to be really brilliant :-)

AB

Reply to
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp

The circumferance of a clip with 60mm max diameter, the next one up, is 188mm. The slots go half the way around just about. So the circumferance could be reduced to 94mm. Which would then give a minimum diameter of 295mm. Which without being able to check how far round the slots actually go could be a bit tight IMO.

So I'm faced with the moral dilemma of paying ?2.98 for a packet of ten clips which might not do the job at all, unless I insist on opening the packet at the counter to see how far round the slots go - the sort of behaviour I abhor in others, or four clips from B&Q for ?4 plus change which I can check visually beforehand in relative anonymity and which I know will definitely work.

Screwix do them as well, but for more than I want to pay for too many clips.

But why leave out that one size in particular ?

michael adams

michael adams

One might think it worth the cost of keeping some of the less used things to gain brownie points with the customer and there is no better advert than word of mouth. A lot of companies seem to forget this in the land of internet shopping that word of electrons is like word of mouth but even more powerful. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff