Hose Clips damaging hoses?

Hi,

Does anyone know if this type of hose clip can eventually 'eat into' the hose it's holding in place? I've got a pressure leak on my turbo system and it looks like that's what may be causing it. This is the clip concerned.

Chris M. White

The advert does not show how the clip is intended to be used. Maybe you could post a link to a picture showing this.

I think a clip like that would be used to hold solid plastic components in place.

Reply to
Michael Chare

That really doesn?t look like a hose clip. For a start, it?s not fully circumferential so can?t compress a hose evenly all the way round.

It *could* be a retaining clip for two rigid pipes that use an o-ring to seal the two parts I guess but we really need photos.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

This video clip shows it at 2m.38s in from the start.

Chris M. White

It shows a conventional screw hose clamp, not what it illustrated in the eBay ad.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Sorry, wrong video clip. Here's a much clearer *still* image:

Which took a hell of a lot of finding for some reason. :-/

Reply to
Chris M. White

Those kind of clips are *supposed* to look like that, though! Perhaps the seal inside (if there is one) has failed. Are you seeing any oil spray around the area at all? --

"Abolition of the family! Even the most radical flare up at this infamous proposal of the Communists."

- The Communist Manifesto, Marx & Engels

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

What goes into the hole with a clip? Do you have a picture?

Reply to
Michael Chare

Yes! What does that indicate?

Reply to
Chris M. White

Soz for the delay; had to borrow someone else's web host. Here's the best picture I could take. The hose on top just gets in the way of what I'm actually trying to show: the union beneath it. The clip just joins one section of hose to another which feeds the intercooler.

Chris M. White

On one of my vehicles I have a hose with clips like that either end. The hose is solid, ie not flexible, and the clips are for retention in a groove in the pipe the "hose" fits onto.

I wouldn't really call it a hose, as in my case it's a 'pipe'.

Reply to
Fredxx

when I have had such Its been a hidden split in the turbo hose - just replace it. feel around with fingers...not a lot of pressure - ordinary hose clips are fine

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Okay, so that?s not a hose clip, it?s a retaining spring clip on a rigid pipe. I would think that the seal will be down to O-rings. That clip doesn?t compress or ?eat into? a hose.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

I suspect there is a plastic bit on the end of the male pipe but I can't claim to be able to see that in the picture as it is inside the female part. You likely need a new pipe.

Reply to
Michael Chare