transparent roof tiles

are there any transparent roof tiles available,

the same size as my exisiting roof tiles,

so i can get a bit of light into the attic

without major changes?

and is this a good idea?

[george]
Reply to
George (dicegeorge)

slates , transparent slates, not tiles..

Reply to
George (dicegeorge)

The nearest (rainproof) equivalent is usually called a window - a roof window (try Velux, which is much like Hoover is to electrified broom). Or I suppose you could use rectangles of that stuff they call glass, as long as you aren't too fussed about watering your attic (and the rest of your house).

Reply to
Bolted

They used to be some available some years ago, made out of Perspex. I know Redland used to make them because I've fitted them. But I haven't seen any for a number of years. If you go to a reclaim yard you my be able to get some glass tiles to suit rosemary type tile. Redland ones are for there interlocking contour tiles. If its the rosemary type you want and if you get some, the lath that supports the glass tile as to be made thicker as the glass tiles haven't any camber. Don't try to cut them as they will be old cast glass, cut the tile.

Reply to
keith_765

There is a method of putting a piece of glass in a slate roof, you will need to use wired Georgian glass. The glass as to fit half way on each of the rafter, cut back the lath to suit. The piece of glass as to over hang the bottom lath as to line up with the slate each side, usually about 3" or 75 mm. To this lath you will have to fasten 2 copper straps about 9" or 225 mm apart, theses are bent upwards and over the glass to hold it from slipping out. . The top of the glass fits up to the bottom edge of the lath resting on the rafter. The first row of slates butts up to the side of the glass. The next rows over lap the glass at the sides about 3" or 75mm, leaving the middle clear. the top row goes straight through over lapping the glass in line. You my have to cut a slate down to follow through to make the joint watertight. Its easy to do than explain..

Reply to
keith_765

If you can afford it:

Emil Tiades

i was thinking i could avoid the hassle and expense of new woodwork, just replace a few slates with transparent slates of the same size with the same nail holes into the same battens...

not having to have skylights and flashing etc...

Reply to
George (dicegeorge)

Why not buy a sheet of perspex of the same thickness from a plastics supplier and make your own? IME perspex is very UV resistant and thin sheet can be cut to size by scoring through with a sharp knife. Then you only need to drill a couple of holes with a hand brace and you have a transparent slate.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

you can, and any glazier could supply once you get the dimensions you need for your roof. What do you need to know?

NT

Reply to
meow2222

and then i can replace a few of the broken slates with perspex ones, which will bring a bit of light into the attic for sussing out where the wood's rotted and wormed etc but not too much heat...

is this a good idea?

to get perspex of the same thickness and size as the existing slates, or cut it myself iof theyre different sizes...

Reply to
George (dicegeorge)

That'll teach me to be so sarcastic, maybe.

I've never seen these. What happens with the roofing felt/membrane (or is it dependent on the absence of felt)?

Reply to
boltmail

I do wonder if they might be more liable to blow off than slates, particularly if you do an area with them? Single ones won't let light through (One missing slate generally doesn't leave a hole due to the overlaps.) Perhaps you could screw them down at the top rather than just nailing on?

Another thought -- instead of drilling holes and nailing/screwing, you could put a 90 degree lip at the top so they hook over the battens. This would allow then to be slid up and out from the inside, if you want to clean them. Still need to consider how to stop them blowing off.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Screwing or bolting them down is probably a good idea for another reason - most plastics don't like being under localised stress. Fitting a large washer under the screw head (it will be over wood and won't show) and leaving the screw slightly loose will help prevent that. A thin rubber washer under a metal one would be even better.

I've not had a lot of success at home-grown solutions for bending of perspex.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

theres no felt in myroof, wood and then slates with some gaps...

Reply to
George (dicegeorge)

are they more likely to blow off because theyre not as heavy as slates?

but easier to drill through...

Reply to
George (dicegeorge)

The message from snipped-for-privacy@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) contains these words: