roof tiles

The roof of my house is covered with flat rectangular red tiles, made o

some kind of clay.

Some of them have broken and need replacement (for the ones withi reach and as a temporary measure I have used sealant to cover the empt gap where the water can get in)

  1. Where can I find this type of tiles?

  1. How are they fixed to the roof?

I cannot figure out how they are fixed to the roof. I know there ar some horizontal studs but the tiles (with the usual overlap betwee them) do not seem to be fixed to the studs, at least in the ones that have inspected. Can they just rest in place by gravity? I doubt i because the slope of the roof is very steep, about 60 degrees. Coul there be some with holes where they are fixed to the wooden studs?

  1. How does one go about replacing tiles in such a steep roof?

Thanks,

Antoni

-- asalcedo

Reply to
asalcedo

The message from asalcedo contains these words:

You get a roofer!

Reply to
Guy King

You don't say what age they are, but presumably fairly old? Your best bet is almost certainly to visit a local architectural salvage yard. It's a reasonable assumption that in the past, other properties were built using the same materials as your house, and that by now they will have ended up in the nearest salvage yard. When we had an extension built a few years back, we sourced our tiles from one - as it happens, they sound very similar to yours - and now you literally can't tell the old part from the new part of the house.

They usually have a couple of lugs at the top edge which act as hooks, so they hang on the horizontal timber battens - held in place by other tiles. There may also be holes in the tiles to nail them down to the battens. Alternatively, maybe retained by metal clips (more modern roofs I think)

Well you'll need some form of roof access system, depending on how much work needs doing. Hire a roof ladder if not too many? Otherwise scaffolding probably.

David

Reply to
Lobster

They are called rosemary tiles, go to a roofing supplier and enquire, they make new ones, or if you're lucky they may have old, weathered ones in. They have two 'lips' on the top edge which hook over the batten, they may also have holes in for nailing but you won't be able to nail the replacement ones in because of the tile above. They are extremely brittle, you are likely to break at least twenty just by walking on them! - use a cat ladder, but you will still probably break some....failing that, get a new roof - once rosemarys start to disintegrate, you are on a hiding to nothing - replace five and break ten, replace those and break another 15, etc etc etc.

Reply to
Phil L

What type are they?

If old, and only a few needed, reclamation yard is best bet.

If many, re-roofing is cheaper.

If modern show us a pikky.

You should nail every third or 4th one to the battens. Many don't. Gravity is what holds most houses together. Turn them upside down and they would fall to pieces.

Slide em under the overlays and slip the pegs over the battens.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The house is from 1928. Pretty unique. Built by Charles Voysey. So ther

are no similar tiles in the vicinity.

I only need a few tiles. But yes, they are very brittle.

I have not seen any tile (only pieces) in full, so I have not seen th pegs that you mention.

How can I post a pick?

I guess that they are indeed Rosemary tiles and that a salvage yard ma be an option. But perhaps with the pick someone can tell me for sure.

One thing, once I get the tiles, won't I break the ones on top b lifting them a bit in order to slide the new one so that the pegs reac all the way up to the buttons?

Thanks,

Antonio

The Natural Philos> asalcedo wrote:-

-- asalcedo

Reply to
asalcedo

Easiest way I know is to go to:

you simply upload a picture to their site and they generate a URL for you to quote here in your post. Don't even need to sign up as a member.

David

PS Please don't top-post as we don't like it here....!

Reply to
Lobster

I am reposting because of a mixed up with two of my posts.

I am trying to locate some tiles like the ones in the following pic:

house was built in 1928 and I need mainly the small size tiles fo the area in the pic and for another handful of tiles missing/broke elsewhere.

Are these indeed Rosemary tiles?

Again, is a reclamation yard my best bet?

I live in central London.

Thanks,

Antoni

-- asalcedo

Reply to
asalcedo

No they are not Rosemary Tiles. However they are the same size. They look like soft clay machine or hand pressed tile. This type of tile is very soft and are thicker than the Rosemary brand. Your best bet is either a reclaim yard or a roofing supplies, such as Wedge roofing supplies or Aspheltic, both have depot in the London area. Rosemary tiles is only a brand name. Not all this type of tile are Rosemary Tiles There were hundreds of tile manurfactures making the same type of tile product. Rosemary was one of the better qualtiy one. All the major roof tiles are manurfactor are now French owned, Lafarge or Eternite. Even Marley and Redland, who inturn own Hawkins, Rosemary, Drednought, and Acme .

Keith

Reply to
keith_765

that took quite a long time to download even on my 3Mb broadband connection - many people with slower speeds won't bother.

Haven't a clue what they are called, but they certainly look like mine, which I mentioned before.

For sure; TBH I doubt you'd even get them anywhere else. And even if you did, they'd look brand new and horrible.

I bought a couple of tiles for another roof from a salvage yard the other day - 50p I think they charged me.

Reply to
Lobster

The message from Lobster contains these words:

I just got "Your Download Is Ready (Link At Bottom Of Page)" but there wasn't a link at the bottom of the page.

What an odd image service.

Reply to
Guy King

They look remarkably similar to some 'repro' tiles I have...now where did they come from.

Mine are repros of handmade pegtiles..somewhere in kent.

Here we go.

See if you can't find a close match here

anyone else wahti g to make a new roof look 500 yaers old, these tiles are cheaper than reclaim, and with colors mixed a bit look reeally good.

Its not a great shot, but have a look

The Natural Philosopher

Thank you very much for all your helpful replies. I will try th

different sources mentioned.

Antoni

-- asalcedo

Reply to