Matching old roof tiles.

Hello, We have just finished building the roof on our extension and now need to get it tiled. I was hoping to match the existing tiles as closely as possible, ignoring nearly 40 years of weathering. I was under the impression that the original roof was done in Marley tiles, but when I took one of them to my builders merchant I found similar designs but nothing was a close match. Looking at the first tile, I couldn't make out the makers name but after careful studying of several tiles I now believe it to be 'Dinorwic'. I now know that the Dinorwic slate company went out of business in 1969 and I assume they tried to compete in the tile market before going under. The tiles I am looking for are smaller then most nowadays, being

15"x9" and have a similar profile to the 'double-roman' tile which most modern manufacturers produce. They are greyish in colour. Can anyone suggest whre I might source a similar tile, even if I cannot find anything by the original manufacturer. On the positive side, there is a valley separating the original roof from the newly built extension roof so it is not imperative that the new tiles match exactly as long as the combination of old and new looks reasonable. It is also worth noting that the house is a semi-detached so I cannot simply replace all of the tiles without significant problems tying in to the tiles on the neighbours side. Finally, I live in Chorley in the north-west, between Preston and Bolton.

Any help/advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Reply to
Kevin

Why not see if there is a local reclaimation yard? You may be able to get the exact tile already weathered!

Reply to
John Rumm

Could you strip the roof of the house at the front, and re-tile the back with the removed tiles on both the extension and house, and use a close match at the front so the new and old are not next to each other ?

Seen it done several times to get a good match of weathering.

Andrew Mawson

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Absolutely... the likelihood is that whatever tiles you have were in widespread use locally when new, so there's a good chance you'll find some. Well worth it IMO - we used reclaimed tiles when we extended our 1913 semi about 3 years ago, and now you really can't even see the join!

David

Reply to
Lobster

Kevin,

There's a big reclamation place behind Matalan at Bamber Bridge. I've walked down the footpath at the side of it many times and they seem to have loads of old building materials.

Antony

Reply to
Antony

If you go to your roofing suppliers they should be able to point you to a reclamation yard. roofers are paid a bonus or commission for stripping old slates off for reclamation. rob

Reply to
rob

Thanks Anthony, I'll check this out as soon as I can.

Reply to
Kevin