Restoring Brass Sash Windows Fittings?

I'm painting my windows (good god it's a lot of work), and have a big pile of brass catches and lifters, etc. which are all rather tarnished and in some cases slightly pock-marked with corrosion.

It seems that Brasso's not really going to do the trick - what's the best way of approaching this? Re-plating?

Reply to
BlueJohn

Clean with vinegar, rinse off, and lacquer them. They'll just retarnish otherwise.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

If they are plated, throw them away and fit new. Decent ones will be solid brass.

Dip them in vinegar - the non brewed stuff is best, so an el cheapo one. This gets rid of the hard surface oxidisation and makes them easier to polish with Brasso, etc. A Dremmel type device with polishing mop and a decent paste for the job can make life easier with the difficult bits.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

OK I'll give that a go. Spirit vinegar, I assume?

Reply to
BlueJohn

All vinegars contain the necessary acetic acid, including imitation vinegars.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

They do, but in this case the very cheapest seem to work better for this job.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Always assuming the fittings are solid brass and not just plated

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Soak them in vinegar for a couple of hours & them polish with a paste made up of salt, flour & vinegar.

Reply to
cerberus