diy sash windows

Has anyone tried to diy restore their sash windows ?

here you can get a kit for around £110 per window - to compare do you know how much it costs for a professional job ?

How easy/hard to do it yourself ?

thanks.

Reply to
SirRinket

Yes

Well, it is a pretty complete kit but there's only about 40quids worth of bits in the kit that you really need. Ok there is a router bit but you don't need one of those per window.

They are doing it the right way, ie machining slots to take brush pile but that means you'll need a router (which they can supply for 45quid) and some skill to use it.

My suggestion would be to buy one kit to get the know how, then buy the wood for others locally & buy draught strips online - use google for suppliers and google groups search on uk.d-i-y to find many references and recommendations.

The right way (above) will take some time & care but you can take a few shortcuts by not machining slots for brush seals but using folded over V- seals instead which are less durable but easier to fit. To make these work you will need to replace the parting & staff beads (a relatively easy job) and sand the running faces of the sashes smooth (or better, stripping back & re-painting).

I can't remember how much the 'pros' charge but believe it's closer to

500quid a pop for the proper job.

HTH

Reply to
fred

Try Mighton products in Google. I bought enough to sort three sash windows for about 60 quid. Unfortunately,I ordered the larger parting bead replacement strip and found it too wide - my mistake. You'll have to use a router with the right size cutters etc. Even if you have to buy one you'd still be in pocket and you could have the job done before you could get on a builder/joiner's waiting list. Charlie(husband of Ros who runs this PC)

Reply to
Ros Pollock

yes

a bit steep

Once you understand how they work, and have done one, its not too difficult. But its not the easiest job either, attention is needed not to cause a problem, and of course youve got to get it done in time. If youre generally diy competent, Id diy, but if youre not, I wouldnt.

BTW you dont need a router, just use a circular saw with the blade set to shallow cut depth. Far quicker and safer, and cheaper.

NT

Reply to
bigcat