Sash Windows

Hi All,

Do any of the North London based people who populate this group know of a company called The Sash Window & Door Company Ltd based in Barnet? I'm thinking of using them to do some installation and renovation to my windows and wondered if anyone has had some experience of them (I'm making some local inquiries as well).

Thanks for any help.

Reply to
Endulini

Sorry, don't know anything about that. But if I could hang a query onto yours?

Can sash windows ever be made completely air-tight. I live in an old building with very non-air-tight large sash windows, and have fitted secondary glazing. But I have often wondered if I could replace or renovate the sash windows in such a way that the heat loss through them is negligible?

Reply to
Timothy Murphy

Rob Morley

I wish we had sash windows, they're far superior to casements in every way, I think.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I think my 1931 semi would look a bit strange with sash windows.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Agreed, thanks. Though I was puzzled by one statement:

"4. Broken cords: in former times people re-corded their own windows - the cords and sash weights were available at any ironmongers (and still are at some)."

In former times? What do people do now?

Reply to
Timothy Murphy

The cord is easy enough to get, and you rarely need new weights. What is odd is that most houses seem to have the wrong weights for their sashes- too heavy or too light, so one can only assume the sashes have been replaced ar some time. It's easy to minimise draughts on the lower sash by adjusting the staff bead but the upper is a bugger because you can't move the parting bead, and the other side of that you have the edge of the box. Any packing out you do invariably stops the window moving freely.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

fairly straightforward job. Remove the sliding sashes (remove beading and lift out), route a groove around 3 sides, and slot suitable brush type draught excluder into the slot. Refit windows. You'll want to repaint after doing this.

This stops any rattles too.

NT

Reply to
bigcat

There are companies which do it for you.

My father re-sashed our windows when I was a child and spouse did it when we were first married in a different house- although he'd no experience of them. It seemed very normal to me.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

The previous owners of this house solved the draughtiness problem by just painting most of them up.....

Even with no draughts there will still be plenty of heatloss through the glass though

Reply to
chris French

Stuart Noble wrote in news:LvbCe.1113 $ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe1-win.ntli.net:

I thought that it was mostly the glass that made the difference. As I recal, older (Victorian) glass was thinner than most modern glass, hence any pane that had been replaced contributed to the weights being wrong.

Reply to
Rod

I don't know of the company but if its of any use to you regarding the price.My quote was for the complete overhaul on 4 windows. The overhaul was to consist of stripping the the windows and renewing parting and staff beads. New bottom sashes to all four (one of which has a separation bar between the panes). A new cill to one of the four being overhauled and a completely new single paned box sash window measuring about 800mm x1.2m. This includes measuring the weights , installation of new window. price was betwwen £550 and £700 depending on the time it took.trying to narrow him on the price he said 550 if it took a week but 700 max.Price for labour only . Materials expected to be around 150.

Reply to
nthng2snet

BTW if your looking for sash windoe draught proofing and anf sash window related sundries try

nthng2snet

All very well except the groove that takes the rope is roughly as deep as the parting bead so on most sashes you couldn't groove anything deeper than 2 or 3 mm into the face. A thin metal plate with the brush mounted on one edge, screwed to the edge of the sash and covering the rope groove, might work. I prefer to use a bit of folded cardboard if it gets windy, and call it ventilation, breathing or whatever.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Handy for feeding furniture through ;-)

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Easier for cleaning outside.

Window sills fully usable - inside and out.

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I've come across many that were too *light* for their original weights. Either way, you're right. Replacing glass with a different thickness is the obvious answer. I've been thinking of using strips of lead flashing as makeweights for a couple of mine. Perhaps some ornamental window weights could be made for those that are too light. Lead bunny rabbits maybe.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

But they don't show ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

"Mary Fisher" wrote in news:42dabef7$0$23043$ snipped-for-privacy@master.news.zetnet.net:

But they *could* show - replace parts of the frame with perspex (or other transparent sheet) and watch the weights in action!

I have a sort of a feeling that at least some old cast iron weights actually had a hollow into which lead was poured. This wiuld allow some adjustment. It's so long since I looked at one it could just be bad memory

- or perhaps just on some.

Reply to
Rod

I suppose I must do about one re-cording per year. (We have a lot of windows.) I'm not a great DIY man, but this doesn't strike me as a very difficult job. (On the other hand, the man who said it was easy to "route a groove round three sides" definitely over-estimated my DIY skills!)

I've never actually seen any advertisement for companies (or even handymen) offering to re-cord sash windows.

Reply to
Timothy Murphy