Windows: Simonton 6500 vs. Andersen 400

I couldn't find any direct comparisons posted anywhere so I thought I'd ask for some opinions.

I had the HD out to measure and estimate for about 16 replacement windows for my

35 year old house in suburban Chicago. We originally were interested in the Andersens, but were surprised at how good the Simonton Renovations 6500 looked. They gave us something like 12.5K for the Andersens and around 9.5 or so for the Simonton.

I know that the Andersen's are pretty decent windows, but I'm not as sure about the Renovations. I've found some posts over at bobvila.com that said to stay away from Simonton at all costs, while some other posts in the newsgroups suggest that they're great windows.

Outside of the main differences between wood and vinyl windows, which one would you recommend?

5 or 10 years from now, which ones will still be keeping drafts out and the rooms warm in the winter, cool in the summer?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Ian

Anderson or Marvin. Consumer Reports rated many windows

Reply to
m Ransley

Get a Pella estimate too.

Reply to