Sash Windows -- weights or springs?

Hi,

I'm about to have some sash windows replaced -- including the boxes, and the joiner has suggested I use springs instead of weights. Weights will cost me £100 extra per window -- but he reckons they're not necessarily better than springs.

Anyone have any experience of this. Would you recommend I go with springs or weights?

Thanks, - Paul.

Reply to
paul

Weights give a smoother action.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Devil's spawn.

Sweetness and light.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

P.S. Ensure he does the weights properly. The top sash weights should be fractionally heavier than the window and the bottom sash weights should be fractionally lighter. This encourages the windows to close rather than open in the event of being rattled by passing traffic. Don't overdo it, or they won't stay open at all!

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Yep, absolutely right, and I've had both. The springs are more prone to breaking as well. The plus with springs is theyre quick and easy to fit, but dont expect them to perform well.

NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

Yep, absolutely right, and I've had both. The springs are more prone to breaking as well. The plus with springs is theyre quick and easy to fit, but dont expect them to perform well.

NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

Absolutely right, I've had both. The springs are more prone to breaking as well. The plus with springs is theyre quick and easy to fit, but dont expect them to perform well.

NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

Depending upon how many windows you're having, this could be an expensive decision!

I bought eight hardwood sliding sashes a few years ago and I went for the spirals. Once you've got them set they are no trouble at all and, should it be necessary (painting/varnishing and movement alters things), you can adjust them.

If you do go for them (springs) make sure your joiner opens out the retaining gizmo on the sash. He just needs to put a flat screwdrive into it and prise it open slightly. If you don't do this then getting the retainng hook back in place after adjustment is a nightmare. He'll know what you mean if you ask him.

xav

Reply to
Meoww

Springs are short lived and don't work as well as weights. Weights often available from scrappers - 50p to £1 each is reasonable. Buy over size and cut to correct weight . Or you can cast your own from scrap lead, in a sand mould. New are v expensive but still better value than springs.

cheers

Jacob

Reply to
jacob