Acoustic glass.

If they replaced the frames they could make as much room as the swanky double glazed sashes required...

Reply to
Jimk

I expect there will be more than one way to do it without all that upheaval...

Reply to
Jimk

Neighbour has just had their two ground floor original Victorian sash windows replaced by a local two man business. And a very fine job they look to have made of it. Next door to them still has the originals, and they look just the same from the pavement. Including the curved glass tops to the upper sash - that most others don't bother with. And straight glass simply doesn't look as good with the curved brickwork.

On complementing the neighbour, she said they'd paid extra for acoustic glass to the double glazing. Given the panel depth you can fit to a wood frame is limited, does this mean thicker glass which would make the air gap and therefore heat insulation poorer?

They also opted for sash weights rather than springs. Total cost some £3750. Is that good value?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

When car manufacturers speak of acoustic glass, I think it is down to the type of laminated plastic layer, probably less than 1mm difference.

Agree with you about the curved glass, a pal paid arms and legs to have curved double glazed units in hardwood replacement windows, then got divorced and she kept the house, but they do look good!

Reply to
Andy Burns

There are two sorts of acoustic glazing. One is thicker glass. The other is triple glazed.

Waste of money sometimes, sound can come in through the roof. Depends on house construction

Reply to
harry

I had 3 victorian sash windows (6 panes) modified and reglazed with

4-4-4 double glazed units with low heritage sightlines by a local joiner. Cost was approx £80 per sq metre for the sealed units (from Slenderpane) and £1000 for labour and lead weights to replace cast iron ones ( these were £300 !) Prices for round topped units were no more expensive just the extra cost of templating.

Planning were happy for me to reglaze , in conservation area, without any PP needed.

If I get the other larger windows done I would probably pay extra for complete new sashes to be made which will take deeper sealed units.

Reply to
Robert

Well if you are in a conservation area you have little choice these days. One of the costs of being there, I guess, but from what you say, this is not so. I think some glass is supposed to resonate less, not sure if that is true or not. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

Not really. The interior has panelling surrounding the windows - I suppose a sort of faux shutters or whatever. If you increased the depth of the sash frame you'd either need to alter all of that, or the brickwork to the outside.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)