Talking of green wood...

What is it that?s special about ash wood? I keep reading that it can be burnt green. Why is this? Does it have a naturally low water content?

If I burn it green, will it fill my chimney with creosote & soot?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Yes, I believe its normal/natural water content is around 25%. I still think you should season it somewhat though.

Not as much as other, wetter, wood.

Reply to
Chris Green

It one of the few verities that can burn green 'nicely'. ;-)

Indeed.

Yes.

Not as much as other species that can also be burnt green.

In every case though, it's better to season all wood for burning.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

It does and it will. Just means it will dry out quicker.

You should have a weekly "blaze" to burn out tar accumulations before they become dangerously thick.

If a thick deposit catches fire, it will destroy your chimney & maybe set the house on fire as well.

Reply to
harry

How true is that as many years back when all houses had coal fires I remember many chimneys catching fire but never a chimney being destroyed.

Reply to
ss

No, the chimney is not destroyed.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

An intense fire causes vertical cracks in the brickwork not always visible from the ground.

Reply to
harry