Cleaning sash windows

I'm looking for advice on cleaning sash windows on the third floor of an early victorian building. These windows do not have the tilt mechanism I see many newer windows have; and they are they cannot be reached from the outside by ladder.

I wonder if anyone has experience of magnetic devices for cleaning the outer side of such windows? Or any other ingenious way of doing this?

Reply to
Timothy Murphy

Traditional method using Mark I bum and Mark II chair does not meet current health and safety requirements (BS8213) but very, very many housewives survived it:

a. push up bottom window; sit on sill with head outside, facing in; clean outside of upper part;

b. push down top window; stand on chair/steps inside, leaning out; clean outside of upper part

PS doesn't work on really tall windows unless you are really, really tall :)

Reply to
Robin

They used to sell magnetic cleaners for fish tanks that worked like that.

My solution for sash windows would however be this:

  • Clear the garden underneath.
  • Take an axe.
  • Smash the godawful things, frame and all, into matchwood and broken glass.

Slightly above Saniflows in terms of desirable things in a house, IMO.

(Ok, I'm only saying this as I'm in the throes of bodging (his word) a load for a mate who wanted them painted. The putty has long gone, the stiles have spread, the paint is peeling, half of them are jammed or painted over, there's been ivy on them at some point. Dealing with them is as much fun as having piles. Too fussy, too many rebates and recesses, too hard to sand. Argh!)

Reply to
Scott M

I'm looking for advice on cleaning sash windows on the third floor

Simple. Find a widow cleaner that uses the pole system.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

Have we not discussed the Simplex Sash Window system before?

It may be retro-fitted to existing windows.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Did that on a GF's flat - 10th. floor. She did comment that she might feel personally involved if I'd fallen. So kind.

Reply to
PeterC

That's got to be some kind of euphemism...

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

The way I do it is the same as my grandmother did;

Open bottom half, sit out on ledge, lower top half and clean. Inside, stand on chair (steps if you like), reach out of top half and clean remaining bits.

Reply to
DJC

People love 'em, especially young house hunters. I did mine 30 years ago, and now they need a touch-up :-) By "did" I mean had the sashes out, sanded, fiiled, re-glazed. Car body filler and acrylic putty are the keys to long life IME.

Reply to
stuart noble

Unfortunately, this is a listed building and we are not allowed to modify the windows. We had them completely refurbished some years ago by an english company, called IIRC The Sash Window Company, who had a branch in Ireland. This was very expensive, but a grant paid for half the cost.

In any case, we were not allowed to install double glazing, and even had to use the old glass unless it was broken. So I am sure we would not be allowed to change the system as you suggest.

Reply to
Timothy Murphy

Retrofitting only involves cutting the staff bead and screwing on a couple of other parts. It's accepted for Grade A listed buildings in Edinburgh Wor ld Heritage Site.

Given that the problem must affect almost everyone in the block if you've a ll got tthe same windows it might be worth enquiring of your local listed b uilding officer if they would allow the system (and whether they would requ ire listed building consent or treat it as de minimis work).

Otherwise you need a window cleaner with a pole system on a block contract.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog